1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black mystery "tween" with **heavily** feathered legs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stillbecoming, Feb 23, 2013.

1. stillbecoming

stillbecoming New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a 3-1/2 week old black chick from the hatchery who is fully feathered. Supposedly female. There are a couple mystery chicks, but I just cannot figure out what this gal is. She is beautiful and quite sweet.
    Her legs are SO heavily feathered, she walks like she is wearing snow-shoes or her thighs are chafing. Much more than the brahmas of the same age.

She has really thick feathering on all sides of her "thighs", it actually tufts out in all directions; and she has feathering down onto her feet, where the feathers form large "snow-shoes". She walks slowly (personality? featheriness?), or flies/flutters about.

I hope someone can help me ID her breed! Thanks to anyone with any idea. . .

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi stillbecoming and welcome to BYC!!

Any chance you could post a photo?

My first thought was Black Cochin. Look up a photo and see what you think.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. crazybirdlady2p

crazybirdlady2p Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Elk Plain,Washington
    A Frizzle maybe? I picked up some mystery chicks last week and one has some all direction feathers and fluffy legs. I got lucky and got one drizzle out of 7.

4. stillbecoming

stillbecoming New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

That's her in the middle (black). Sorry, she is quite shy & hard to get a decent photo.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a cochin

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking cochin. They are beautiful, stately birds!

When I no longer live in The Land of Mud, I'm gonna have a bunch of large cochins, just cause they're pretty.

7. stillbecoming

stillbecoming New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome, @dretd! I've been lurking for ages, and finally got my chicks, so thought I should join :)

And thanks to you, @crazybirdlady2p and @donrae for your help in ID'ing her.

Drumroll, please--yes, I believe Cochin!
    She is definitely featherier on her legs than any of the photos of tween Cochins I've seen, but she looks identical to the adult Cochins; like she has no legs at all, just is an upside-down pyramid of feathers.

Thanks again,and thanks for putting up with the chicken newbie.
    Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by