Black oil sunflower seed fodder?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I'd been reading about how to build wheatgrass growing fodder to grow into 7 day mini-seedling plants and then feed it to ducks and chickens. And also ducks.

But I wanted to ask how hard it is to train the ducks to eat this?

It seems like a good, cool plan. And I really want to make this happen, because the idea is you are taking 1 pound of grain and turning it into 7 days growth of seedling fodder that ends up as about 5 pounds. And this is fairly the same with both wheatgrass and the black oil sunflower seeds.

Its cool right?

Trading 20 cents for a dollar. At least it should work. And I've seen videos of people doing this with tons of farm animals. And with us going into a food crisis this year, I think its a great idea also because I've seen the price of wheat go up recently.

But how hard will it be to get them to accept this?

I ask because it took me about 2 days to get the ducklings interested in oatmeal. They did eat it and were find. But it took a bit of prodding each time until the end of second day they were trying to wolf it down. I normally feed them the normal chick starter stuff, but supposedly at around 3.5 or 4 weeks you are supposed to have something with lower protein in there to prevent wing deformation. (Hence, oatmeal is lower protein.)

I also had done some experiments with giving them grass already but they didn't really eat that either. (I didn't pursue this too aggressively yet, thinking I'd come back later.) But it raises the question of, will it be hard to get them into this? Is there a trick to getting them into new foods?

So I'd been reading about how to build wheatgrass growing fodder to grow into 7 day mini-seedling plants and then feed it to ducks and chickens. And also ducks.

But I wanted to ask how hard it is to train the ducks to eat this?

It seems like a good, cool plan. And I really want to make this happen, because the idea is you are taking 1 pound of grain and turning it into 7 days growth of seedling fodder that ends up as about 5 pounds. And this is fairly the same with both wheatgrass and the black oil sunflower seeds.

Its cool right?

Trading 20 cents for a dollar. At least it should work. And I've seen videos of people doing this with tons of farm animals. And with us going into a food crisis this year, I think its a great idea also because I've seen the price of wheat go up recently.

But how hard will it be to get them to accept this?

I ask because it took me about 2 days to get the ducklings interested in oatmeal. They did eat it and were find. But it took a bit of prodding each time until the end of second day they were trying to wolf it down. I normally feed them the normal chick starter stuff, but supposedly at around 3.5 or 4 weeks you are supposed to have something with lower protein in there to prevent wing deformation. (Hence, oatmeal is lower protein.)

I also had done some experiments with giving them grass already but they didn't really eat that either. (I didn't pursue this too aggressively yet, thinking I'd come back later.) But it raises the question of, will it be hard to get them into this? Is there a trick to getting them into new foods?

Most likely if you set it out in their pen, it will be completely gone in a matter of seconds. Ducks love fodder.

Most likely if you set it out in their pen, it will be completely gone in a matter of seconds. Ducks love fodder.
X2. My goose gave it the side eye for a while, but he secretly nibbled on it when I went in the garage, and in 3 minutes it was gone. He loves it. I've been sprouting rye. Just leave it in there for a while and they'll test it out. I cut off little squares for him. Just checking, you offer them grit right?

Grit? I'm supposed to do that?

I've only had the ducklings for about 2 1/2 weeks to be honest. Maybe you can advise me on grit.

Grit? I'm supposed to do that?

I've only had the ducklings for about 2 1/2 weeks to be honest. Maybe you can advise me on grit.
Yeah, it helps the birds to digest and get all of the nutrition out of their treats. Not having grit can cause digestive issues in birds. You can get chick grit at pretty much any feed store. If none is available you can rinse off some small gravel. They should have it free choice or offered every other day.

So how much do you give them in relation to the rest of their food? And how often?

Ducks need high protein for their first month, otherwise they can get wring neck and they will be deformed for life. You can feed them gamebird starter and then switch them to regular chick feed at 4 weeks, but feeding them scrambled eggs once a day and regular chick starter works fine instead. Chickens need grit because they do not have stomachs they have gizzards. The grit helps their gizzard to grind their food up properly for digestion. Ducks have stomachs. They do not need grit like chickens to.

Back
Top Bottom