Black Oil Sunflower Seed & Split beans Fodder

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
Has anyone tried sunflower oil seed and or split beans for fodder? I want to have fodder for my ducks this winter but I can’t seem to find wheat or barley around me for a reasonable price.
image.jpg
image.jpg
BAFDF628-0C48-42B8-8FC9-682DC9F91230.png

these are the ones that I want to sprout. Also for the sunflower seeds if I choose not to sprout them can they just be feed straight out of the bag? I don’t know if it’s safe or not.

The peas won’t sprout if they’re split and my attempts at sprouting sunflower seeds all turned moldy so I feed them dry or soaked overnight. Green lentils sprout well, but my birds favorite are sprouted wheat

The peas won’t sprout if they’re split and my attempts at sprouting sunflower seeds all turned moldy so I feed them dry or soaked overnight. Green lentils sprout well, but my birds favorite are sprouted wheat
I saw a video where this guy sprouted them. Could have been lentils. Is the Walmart brand okay to feed or does it have to be organic? I mean we can eat it but just making sure. Where do you get your wheat?
CCAB878B-370F-4F9A-89CA-F52E5CFFB297.jpeg

Split things won’t sprout cause they’re just half a seed. Be careful feeding certain things raw. Beans for example are toxic unless they’re cooked or sprouted first. Not sure about lentils I always soak or cook(if it’s for chicks). I used to get small packs of wheat from the grocery store, cheap. But now I get huge sacs from the feed store. They don’t sprout as good but they don’t all need to sprout. Once they sprout I cover them with water until they’re gone. I actually start feeding from the bucket after they’ve soaked over night and just keep feeding from it, it ferments after a couple days and they love it even more.

I will soak the split peas overnight and hopefully they like it. Don’t know where you are from but here, at my grocery store, it’s $3 per pound of wheat. I will buy lintels from Walmart and try to sprout them. Does it mater if it’s organic or not?

Rinse them if they’re not( probably if they are too) organic might have more nutrients but there is probably a huge price difference. If they’re the same price organic is always better but if you’re not raising organic chickens then don’t bother. Some of my chickens don’t love lentils btw. I’m in Canada. I got my friend to pick me up three sacs of wheat at a feed store for 50$, 60kg. That’s their favorite and rice. If it’s meant for animals it is way cheaper. There are programs that you can get expired food for animals for free or cheap, like grains, if you’re in the right area

I have found different local farmers on Craigslist who will bag up their whole small grains in 50lb bags and sell for feed. The last 50lb bag of wheat we bought was $6.00

Back
Top Bottom