Black on comb. Frostbite or injury or pox? Pic inside

Dec 2, 2020
19 week old Swedish Flower Rooster. I am a new chicken owner.

Some of the other 4 roosters have similar black on the comb.

I thought it was frostbite or pox, but now think it may just be dried blood from wounds. There has been no progression on any of the roosters over about 2 weeks.

Chickens were crowded up for a few weeks with about 3 sq ft per bird. Now have about 8 per bird. The Roosters are together without any hens. The black appeared while they were crowded up.

Thoughts? Wound or something else?

Attachments

• CE39F37E-C8EA-41CE-A27D-CF32E39356E7.jpeg
    CE39F37E-C8EA-41CE-A27D-CF32E39356E7.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 86961C12-A73F-417F-97DB-6522E1684898.jpeg
    86961C12-A73F-417F-97DB-6522E1684898.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 13

I thought it was frostbite or pox, but now think it may just be dried blood from wounds. There has been no progression on any of the roosters over about 2 weeks.

Looks like dried blood. How many hens do you have/ is it a bachelor flock? If you keep them with hens then they are most likely fighting with each other or the hens might be pecking them. If it it’s a bachelor flock then there’s a pecking order so there’s nothing to be worried about. I️ don’t know how cold it is where you are but as long as they have a coop that is dry and has no drafts then they should be able to keep themselves warm for the most part.

Yeh. It's dried blood.
Nothing to worry about. If there is little room for the birds then there will be pecking happening. Especially if there is a number of roosters together.

Chickens were crowded up for a few weeks with about 3 sq ft per bird. Now have about 8 per bird. The Roosters are together without any hens. The black appeared while they were crowded up.

Looks like dried blood. How many hens do you have/ is it a bachelor flock? If you keep them with hens then they are most likely fighting with each other or the hens might be pecking them. If it it’s a bachelor flock then there’s a pecking order so there’s nothing to be worried about. I️ don’t know how cold it is where you are but as long as they have a coop that is dry and has no drafts then they should be able to keep themselves warm for the most part.

It’s a bachelor flock now. 5 roosters. 4 hens are in a separate coop and location.

Bad planning on my part along with -10 weather, preceded by snow, for a few weeks resulted in them living too close together.

The BCM/Birchen rooster was particularly aggressive. He seems to
Have calmed down a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom