1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black on combs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrownLeghorn64, Jun 10, 2016.

1. BrownLeghorn64

BrownLeghorn64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    I have 7 chickens and 6/7 have small black spots on their comb. My rooster has it the worst. I know it is not fowl pox but don't know exactly what it is. If you know what the problem is please help me by telling me what I can do. Thank you.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like fowl pox, there is a wet and a dry form, I just heard about. You can post photos at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Not all black spots on combs are avian pox. Many times black spots appear from pecking order squabbles. When they jostle for treats or defend their favorite dust bathing area, the comb is one of the favorite places to bite at. When it bleeds and the blood dries, the blood spots turn black. Hence a lot of little black spots on the combs.

BUT...do post in our emergency section with pictures for more help. I hope all is well! :)

5. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016

Yep,
    And could be biting insects like mosquitoes.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. The black spots could be from squabbling amongst flock mates, or possibly from dry fowl pox. Either issue will go away on its own most of the time.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] It may be dried blood from injuries, but it may also be lice/mites. Have you examined the spots to see?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. BrownLeghorn64

BrownLeghorn64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG] here is what the problem looks like

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    O.K. looking around the cockerel's eye, those look like it might be bugs. I had a problem with them some years ago in my flock. Can you check closely and let us know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by