black on combs

BrownLeghorn64

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2016
I have 7 chickens and 6/7 have small black spots on their comb. My rooster has it the worst. I know it is not fowl pox but don't know exactly what it is. If you know what the problem is please help me by telling me what I can do. Thank you.

Sounds like fowl pox, there is a wet and a dry form, I just heard about. You can post photos at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Not all black spots on combs are avian pox. Many times black spots appear from pecking order squabbles. When they jostle for treats or defend their favorite dust bathing area, the comb is one of the favorite places to bite at. When it bleeds and the blood dries, the blood spots turn black. Hence a lot of little black spots on the combs.

BUT...do post in our emergency section with pictures for more help. I hope all is well! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Not all black spots on combs are avian pox. Many times black spots appear from pecking order squabbles. When they jostle for treats or defend their favorite dust bathing area, the comb is one of the favorite places to bite at. When it bleeds and the blood dries, the blood spots turn black. Hence a lot of little black spots on the combs. 

BUT...do post in our emergency section with pictures for more help. I hope all is well! :)

Yep,
And could be biting insects like mosquitoes.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It may be dried blood from injuries, but it may also be lice/mites. Have you examined the spots to see?

O.K. looking around the cockerel's eye, those look like it might be bugs. I had a problem with them some years ago in my flock. Can you check closely and let us know?

Back
Top Bottom