Black on tips of comb...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimmybow, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    My girl Ozzy has black on the tips of her comb. She has had this for a long time, before the cold weather. No one else has had this (5 other hens) until recently - now one other hen has the same thing. Don't think it's frostbite, because it's been around since before the cold weather. Thought is was dirt originally. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

Sorry it's sideways - still trying to figure out the new phone :)

So what is this?

Thanks, all those who have gone before!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    maybe a fungus of some sort [​IMG] doesn't exactly look like dry pox...it looks like it is sitting on top of her skin...does it rub off?

3. kimmybow

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    Well, I wonder if it is a fungus. If you look closely, you can see that some of the skin came off - there is a raw area on one of the tips. I haven't cheked to see if it comes off, but I don't think so - I pick up my girls all the time and it doesn't look like it wipes off. Has gotten worse since I first noticed it a couple of months ago. Very slowly, but it has gotten worse. Now another hen seems to have it. It looks as tho it's creeping around to the beak area :-(

Can I use Tinactin or lotrimin for this? Or maybe an antibiotic ointment?

4. kimmybow

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    BTW - the inside of their coop has always been dry - I keep on top of it. I am thinking that maybe fungus is correct because I put some hay in their enclosure and it's kind of wet and yucky. I think I need to get it out of there. It was an experiment :-/

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It doesn't look like fungus to me. It looks like she's been picked on at one time or another. Once a chicken is picked on, the chickens will continue to pick at a scab or any tiny spot that looks out of place. If it's truly not frostbite, I believe it to be pecking. How many chickens in what size coop and run?

6. kimmybow

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    Well, that's possible - she is low on the totem pole. Always has been. 6 hens, good sized coop. Enclosure not huge, but they free range some part of every day. So maybe the other one who looks like she's getting it is also being pecked at...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by