Black or Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Oct 29, 2009.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    what do BCMs look like as chicks?

I have a 6 week old pullet (I hope) that was given to me by a friend who breeds Marans. It was almost all black with a rust colored "eyebrow" on one side. There are a couple rusty looking feathers coming into the neck now, but I'm not sure it's a poorly colored black, or that's what Black Coppers look like young.

Either way, I'm happy to have it. She just had several types of Marans in the brooder, and they got confused.

Here's a pic if you can tell anything from it.

[​IMG]

2. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    You, my friend, need to change your siggy-re first egg. (0:

Were there party favor solid blacks? Darn. My kids just zeroed in on blue, and boys at that.
    Diff lines have varying amounts of copper color. If you see it at 6 weeks
    its probably a BCM. Even if it is a BCM without much color it is still carrying the
    gene, unlike the Blacks with are genetically different. It takes Marans a long time to mature, I have some that took to 20 weeks to color out and the males can take to a year.
    Some lines have excessive amounts of copper, so its all about balancing out what you have. Since you arent going to breed them its all about the egg color, baby, and I suspect
    hers wont dissapoint.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    it does not look like one of mine but maybe someone else knows better. The blue next to it is georgeous though!

4. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:ha ha.

I like her all the same! I know we were a little confused by her single brown eyebrow. (let's blame the birthday champagne). She's almost out of her awkward phase. I look forward to seeing how she changes. Thanks again!

now to change that signature...

5. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Thanks. She's a Cuckoo Marans over a blue Ameraucana, so we're hoping for an Olive egger. That beard and the blue barring are so cool!

I've met some great chicken friends (pushers) who keep me over stocked in cool chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by