Black or blue? Can't tell...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jossanne, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    This is a 5-week-old bantam cochin from Ideal. Is he black or blue? I can't decide. He's very dark, and I'm having a hard time getting an accurate picture. He seems black, but he's got some gray feathers in his wings, foot feathering, and chest. So? Black or blue?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

That is a tough one. I would say very dark blue. I have an Orp that's about the same shade that I'm going to post pics for opinions on tomorrow. Do you have any blacks to compare him to?

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    looks like black to me but i may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I would say it's a black, he has green sheen in some of his feathers. Very rarely do blue birds have green sheen.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    yeah, thats a black i believe

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    come to think of it I had a bantam black cochin roo that had plenty of green sheen. Neighbors dog ate him but now I am convinced.

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have some black minorca pullets out in the henhouse that I could compare him to, but no obviously black cochin babies. Out of 10, I've got at least 8 definite blues, and 2 possible blacks.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Did he have any blue coloring to him when you first got him? I have a lot of chicks that are very dark blue. At hatch they were black with blue tint on everything but their belllies and wing tips. But they were very dark with a blueish tint to the dark feathers.

9. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Here he is as a day-old. I thought he was probably black when he came, compared to the others, but he wasn't as black as my black minorca or australorp chicks were. The other one that is looking blackish was not nearly as dark as he was as a chick.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any green sheen. He looks dark blue to me...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by