Black or blue cochin bantam chick?

Yes.. i am a chicken mathematician. So i went back to the store and got *just one * more bantam cochin... 😇

Thoughts in whether this will be a blue or black cochin when it grows up? I verified the hatchery, and they do not have official "gray" colored cochins.

Also, if they are listed as frizzle, does that mean all chicks are frizzles, or is it just a percentage/recessive trait?View attachment 2349641View attachment 2349644View attachment 2349645
Yes.. i am a chicken mathematician. So i went back to the store and got *just one * more bantam cochin... 😇

Thoughts in whether this will be a blue or black cochin when it grows up? I verified the hatchery, and they do not have official "gray" colored cochins.

Also, if they are listed as frizzle, does that mean all chicks are frizzles, or is it just a percentage/recessive trait?View attachment 2349641View attachment 2349644View attachment 2349645
Just as a point of comparison, I have a blue bantam cochin jen and cockerel and a black of each also. I tried to find some clear pics of them as chicks for you to compare with yours but alas I don't have many that are very clear. So, in the first pic, the chick on the far left is our blue hen and the one 4th in from the left is our blue cockerel. As a point of comparison, the chick second from the left and on the far right are both black. They looked very different as chicks. The blue cockerel also started with some fizzled wing feathers and ridiculous feet feathers. We thought for sure that he was a frizzle but the feathers are normal now. So weird! The middle pick is of him at about 9 weeks. The last pic, I know it's a bad shot, but in the foreground is Queen Mab, our blue hen and Benny, our blue boy is behind her. Don't know if these comparisons will help you sort out if yours are blue or black?
20200708_202021.jpg
20200709_143604.jpg
20200913_135217.jpg

Just as a point of comparison, I have a blue bantam cochin jen and cockerel and a black of each also. I tried to find some clear pics of them as chicks for you to compare with yours but alas I don't have many that are very clear. So, in the first pic, the chick on the far left is our blue hen and the one 4th in from the left is our blue cockerel. As a point of comparison, the chick second from the left and on the far right are both black. They looked very different as chicks. The blue cockerel also started with some fizzled wing feathers and ridiculous feet feathers. We thought for sure that he was a frizzle but the feathers are normal now. So weird! The middle pick is of him at about 9 weeks. The last pic, I know it's a bad shot, but in the foreground is Queen Mab, our blue hen and Benny, our blue boy is behind her. Don't know if these comparisons will help you sort out if yours are blue or black?
View attachment 2350179View attachment 2350180View attachment 2350185
Thank you for this!!!! I will save this post.. ok i can see that the blue has that more gray fluff.. qnd the black is much darker..
Interesting on the frizzle!! Ok i wont count my frizzle chicks before they fully feather!!

Im noticing your female on the left has more full flight feathers.. thats what im using days 0-3 to make a better guess as to who is female.. hoping im right!! And your male has the L shape to the wing feathers. How old were they in your top pic?

This is my self blue.. my hunch is hes male based on feathers, but the color was so pretty, i grabbed it in hopes that its a slower feathering female. At least ill know soon enough (had to go dna route w silkies)! Actually, now that ive written that, i wonder if it might be a splash instead. I want to be wrong about the sex on this one!!
20200925_161532.jpg

Thank you again for taking the time, i reallly appreciate the pics!!! 🥰

Thank you for this!!!! I will save this post.. ok i can see that the blue has that more gray fluff.. qnd the black is much darker..
Interesting on the frizzle!! Ok i wont count my frizzle chicks before they fully feather!!

Im noticing your female on the left has more full flight feathers.. thats what im using days 0-3 to make a better guess as to who is female.. hoping im right!! And your male has the L shape to the wing feathers. How old were they in your top pic?

This is my self blue.. my hunch is hes male based on feathers, but the color was so pretty, i grabbed it in hopes that its a slower feathering female. At least ill know soon enough (had to go dna route w silkies)! Actually, now that ive written that, i wonder if it might be a splash instead. I want to be wrong about the sex on this one!!
View attachment 2350206

Thank you again for taking the time, i reallly appreciate the pics!!! 🥰
So I think those top pics were taken when they were about 2 weeks old. Your blue looks so sweet and keep hoping its a girl. One of our cochins was a super slow feather grower and I was sure she (Ophelia) was a he, but nope, a girl she is.😁

So I think those top pics were taken when they were about 2 weeks old. Your blue looks so sweet and keep hoping its a girl. One of our cochins was a super slow feather grower and I was sure she (Ophelia) was a he, but nope, a girl she is.😁
Oh good!!! That gives me hope!! 😍😍😍 i told my daughter we could keep only 2.. but now im second guessing myself.. and id be super happy if all 3 were girls! These will be house chickens, so the mathematical options are a little more limited. 😂 we have a D'Anver and an OEGB chick as insurance! I have 4 ready to start laying in our family room too!

House chickens! My kids and I would love that but my husband and dogs would not allow it. How do you manage the poop?
They live in an oversized bunny hutch with removable trays.. and when they are out and about for a significant time, they use chicken diapers!

I just changed it the litter to sweet pdz GRANULAR (bought the wrong one the first time 🤦🏼‍♀️) so you can scoop the poops out just like kitty litter! No smell either!
20210505_105306.jpg 20210505_105415.jpg

Oh... and from those earlier chick pics.. my blue cochin turned out to be a female.. Elsa 🥰 and the red ended up frizzled but was a male.

This is Elsa all grown up.. smooth splash bantam cochin.
20210504_092511.jpg

I have two new chicks, 2 weeks old.. a polish and red frizzle.. hoping for females on both!
20210503_105210.jpg

Back
Top Bottom