Black or Blue? Laced Red Wyandottes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, May 27, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

A while back I picked up a few chicks from a local breeder in hopes they would be Black Laced Red Wyandottes. I have 3 pullets left and now that they're coming into their colors more I am becoming a bit disappointed because I think they may be Blue Laced instead of Black Laced like I wanted.

They look dark blue and all have dark blue underfluff. These are my first BLRW's so I don't REALLY know how a black laced should look.

Here's pictures of the 3 girls...

#1 - Does this one looks like it might be mixed??
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

#3, probably the nicest looking one.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Anyone?

3. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So it looks like in their gallery pictures none of the Black BLR's have lighter/bluish underfluff... I guess all mien are dark BLR's... bummer :(

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They look like they have some Partridge Wyandotte in them, especially the first 2.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I don't think the breeder had any of those but he did have a lot of Dorking chicks and said there was a small chance some could be mixed. I will probably only keep the bigger chick since these are all blue instead of black.

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Songster

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I don't think they're pure either. I have a black BLRW who is almost 5 weeks and she has lacing but no stripes like your top two girls have.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree the bottom one is the only pure laced bird. The others show a partridge type influence and won't lace out properly.

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you guys for the input, I appreciate it! I found someone to buy the 2 mixed up ones and I am pretty sure I'll keep the nice-looking one. =)

10. Hezz

Hezz Songster

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    The bottom one is the only one that looks like it could possibly be a pure golden lace to me. The other two....I have no idea. I honestly don't think any of them are pure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: