Black or blue sultans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by King Tubby, May 6, 2008.

1. King Tubby

King Tubby Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2007
    Mechanicsville VA
    Does anybody you know breed black or blue sultans? I have seen two pics of the blacks and none of the blue. Obviously they are extremely rare.

I would like to try and get some if I can ever find any.

thanks

David

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    When we were members of the polish breeders club, one of the officers had black, blue, and white sultans in bantam. If you become a member then you will get a breeders directory that will have all that stuff in it.

3. King Tubby

Aug 13, 2007
    Mechanicsville VA
    Wow I just found somebody selling blue sultan eggs on ebay. i emailed to ask if they are going to have any more.

From the description:

These are results of years of selective breeding from pure whites ,never added outside blood.One dark feather at a time.One of a kind.

[​IMG]

4. King Tubby

Aug 13, 2007
    Mechanicsville VA
    Quote:Cool thanks for the tip. I have been meaning to join the PBC anyway and this is another good reason.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Oh please....

6. King Tubby

Aug 13, 2007
    Mechanicsville VA
    Quote:Care to elaborate?

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    There is no such thing as a black or blue Sultan. Anybody who tells you they 'created' a color one feather at a time is having you on to put it politely. Just look at the birds, they hardly resemble a Sultan at all!

8. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
  9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    White is the only recognised variety. Other colours have been outcrossed, take a look at the type.

10. King Tubby

Aug 13, 2007
    Mechanicsville VA
    Mutations do happen. I know a man who has kept poultry for 60 years. One of his breeds (jungle fowl I think, but not sure) hatched a white one time. He bred it and got more whites, and as far as he knows he has the only white of that breed in existence.

Who's to say that that man didn't selectively breed those colors? I know that I found reference to black and blue sultans in Storey's Illustrated Guide to poultry Breeds before I found his birds.

I'm by no means an expert on Sultans, but those black ones on feathersite do seem to look pretty similar to the whites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by