1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black or Lavender Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Oct 24, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm picking up a rooster today who's black with a Lav gene, to breed to my Black Australorps- I want to wind up with chickens that look just like Australorps but lay blue eggs (so I know I'll have to work on egg color, too). Could I also come up with Lavender colored Easter Eggers? I'd like to know more about the lavender genes and what it does to other colors, and what colors NOT to breed it to.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Good luck with that. . . . You're gonna need a LOT of work and a lot of crossing back to Ameraucanas to achieve a blue egger. Using a brown egger will just ruin it and turn the resulting offspring green.

Honestly if it is the beard/muffs that you don't like, I'd say get some black Ameraucanas from Cree Farms. They, for some bad reason, breed birds with clean faces and/or half the muffs/beard genes. Get a black from there, cross it to your lav or lav splits, and work from there. The body will be slightly similar, but if you want the single comb too, forget about it - Single combs cannot mix with blue or green eggs.

Honestly I don't see the fad with the run of the mill chicken look (like black Australorps) but then again I like mine different. [​IMG]

3. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Actually you can get blue (green) eggers from chicken with sinlge combs, Ive donr it myself. But, inturn I will say that you do have a better chance of a blue (Green) egger with a pea comb.

4. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I have always loved Black Australorps, they are such nice birds and I enjoy their egg laying dependability.. I pretty much like everything about them. They are my favorite heavy breed, and have been since I was a kid. I don't know what you mean by "the fad", since I had no idea there WAS a fad, lol, but whatever- to each his own, and that's why there are SO many different types of chickens! [​IMG]

As for "different", I have plenty of those. LOL

The MAIN reason I am entering into this project is because I KNOW it will take alot of crossing and trial and error. [​IMG] I know it won't be easy to achieve, and that's the point for me. [​IMG]

I am glad to hear about Cree Farms, I love Americaunas but am not too fond of the beard/muff lol (personal preference!) So I will look into getting some from them! Thank you!

Who raises really nice Araucanas? I'm thinking about getting some of those, too...

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I raise Araucanas,

I have sold all the nice ones that I am not keeping. In spring I will have more. I do have a couple of tufted roos still available on my website.

There are several others on BYC that raise araucanas also.

Lanae

6. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Do you sell eggs (this time of year)?

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Yes I do sell eggs. The pens I have eggs coming out of are my tufted splash pen and my tufted blue pen.

Lanae

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:blaundee : You ever get this project off the ground? If so, can we seee some pictures please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by