Black or Red?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jesse_levi, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jesse_levi

jesse_levi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Independence
    I am getting ready to start a small backyard flock of about 4-6 pullets.The hatchery that I am receiving them from sells Black sex-link,Red sex-link and Cinnamon queens.
    Does anybody here have any advice on what breed does the best in a backyard situation?which ones are the friendliest?

I have a 10'x4' coop with a 12'x12'yard for them.
    Thanks for any info,Jess.

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i have had great luck with 2 of the sweetest birds.they are golden comets.love them so much i got some more [​IMG]

3. jesse_levi

Aug 20, 2010
    Independence
    I'm guessing that would be the same a cinnamon queen? If I'm right they're a cross of a RIR Roo,And a Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen. Thank you very much for your info!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I recommend the Cinnamon Queens. (Just because I've had them and they're such sweet birds.) But I have heard the others are fine too. You can't lose! [​IMG]

5. jesse_levi

Aug 20, 2010
    Independence
    Thank You,Sharon.

I was kind of leaning towards those anyway,because I have had red and black's before.But that was on the farm and I had them more for egg production.Now,I live in the "Burbs" and have recently realized just how much I missed the company of my chickens.I'm wanting them just as much for their company and antics as I am for fresh eggs!.Thank you again.

6. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

the comets are a new hampshire roo x white rock pullet.

7. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I have the golden comets and the red-sex links. I believe the black sex-links would be a good bird. They run a little heaver than the red chickens. I just like the color red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by