Black or very dark blue?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Mos, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Mos

Mos Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    I don't really know how genetics work, but I find it very interesting. These 3-month-olds are from blue parents, so they could be either black or blue. I've always thought they were black and their sisters blue, but looking at some pictures of them where they looked suspiciously bright colored in some places (but still not nearly as bright as their sisters!) I started to wonder how it works. As I've understood it, all blue chickens are black but with an additional blue gene, which fades the black color, is that correct? I suppose it differs how much the black is faded too? So could a chicken be practically black but still carry the blue gene, just that it in that case didn't really fade their color?
    Or will it always be visible if they carry the blue gene? So all chickens are classified either as 'black' when they don't have the blue gene, or 'blue' when they do have the blue gene, even if they might not look blue? (If it's even possible for them to disguise the blue gene that much..!)
    When I google pictures of various black chicken breeds they all seem to have a deeper black color than mine do, and it really confuses me about where the lines are drawn between the different colors.. how much can the black gene in chickens vary in the scale from pitch black to almost grey-ish without the influence of other genes?
    Is the iridescent green coloring in some of their feathers a sign that their color is indeed black without the presence of any blue gene?
    So many questions, I'm sorry.. :rolleyes: Any input is greatly appreciated!

IMG_9335.JPG
    IMG_9294.JPG
    IMG_9295.JPG
    IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9152.JPG
    IMG_9158.JPG
    IMG_9061.JPG

Their two blue sisters to the left for comparison..
    IMG_9174.JPG

Cyprus likes this.
  2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    They look black and blue. They're very pretty though whatever color they are! Hoping someone can answer your questions, I'm not good with color genetics and how they work.

ButtonquailGirl14, Mos and Duck_life like this.
  3. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Splash maybe? Not good with genetics. @Cyprus

ButtonquailGirl14, Mos and Cyprus like this.
  4. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Crowing

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    Can't help you there, what type of birds are they? In the last picture the sisters definitely look lighter and more blue like an Andalusian color...

5. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    What breed are they anyways? The legs look like the color of my orpingtons! Very pretty, good luck.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Mos like this.
  6. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    Black

EggSighted4Life, Mos and Duck_life like this.
  7. Mos

Mos Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Thank you! They are Liege Fighters, and yes I agree.. very pretty! :love

And I'm curious @Cyprus , are the iridescent feathers a sign that they are in fact black? Is it possible for it to occur in chickens with the blue gene? Or any other color for that matter :D

ButtonquailGirl14 and Duck_life like this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Splash is usually much whiter and with splashes of color, example... :)
    upload_2019-10-16_8-27-14.jpeg
    Sometimes the top of blue birds is a lot darker and appears black, but their pajama pants are usually still distinctly lighter. I agree these boys look black (with some red leakage). Pretty how the blue female flock mates have the darker lacing. :love

9. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Thanks for the info :goodpost:

10. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    Yes for the sheen in black, no for the sheen in blue

I recognized those birds for their breed ;) I enjoy that breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: