black orp about 4 weeks we think roo any help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by little blue, Aug 28, 2010.

1. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    we think it is a roo i am asking at such a young age because i am meeting someone today an they wanted a black roo they are about 11/2 hours from us so dont want to make 2 tripsif we can help it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks for any help

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    roo

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    The legs look thick, which makes me think it's a roo.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, that's a blue orp not a black orp. Too hard to determine the gender at this point, but leaning towards pullet.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Those are some huge legs! Which usually is an early sign of a cockerel. However with this one I want to say pullet, mostly due to how the bird has feathered in. Pullets in my experience seem to get their feathers much quicker and in a more even manner all over their body.

It's comb and wattles are still very small, also a good indicator that it's a pullet, though Orpingtons tend to be tricky. How is the chicks personality? Is it very in your face, or more stand offish? How does it carry it's body, more upright or lower to the ground in a horizontal manner?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's too early to tell. Could be a pullet--in this breed, they often have huge legs no matter the sex.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Way too early to tell. I will say also I think blue!!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  8. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    I think its too early to tell, sorry [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You see this blue Orp cockerel? He's five weeks and is feathering just like a male. I'm more inclined to say yours is a pullet just because she is so heavily feathered at this young age. Orp males seem to stay naked a loooong time, LOL. And yes, yours is dark blue, not black, IMO.

[​IMG]

10. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Speckledhen wrote: It's too early to tell. Could be a pullet--in this breed, they often have huge legs no matter the sex.

This was very true in my case...with my favorite Buff Orpington! I thought for sure she was a rooster. I didn't realize the thick legs were an Orpington trait in pullets. Hmmm...good to know.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by