Black Orp- You know the drill!!! Pullet or dinner?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckcluck42, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I got this little guy as an extra in a purchase a little while ago. For some reason his head feathers are JUST starting to grow in? He isn't being picked on or anything, in fact he is a cheeky little monkey and darts between all the older chickens legs when it's treat time.

Any ideas? These are the best pics I could get right now. He/She is about 2 months old, maybe a bit more. If you can't tell from these pics just let me know and I can *try* to get more. He is so hard to get a picture of!

If it is a boy, is it worth it to raise him for meat? Do Orps grow relatively fast?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Dinner!!!! Im getting hungry just looking at him!!!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Dinner.

4. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Wonderful. 8 bucks for that little chick a month ago and I'm going to have to cull him. Not as bad as the ten dollar hen that is now crowing up the place. Wouldn't it be nice if they had obvious genitalia from birth!!

I'm not sure it's worth it to raise him to meat age. Hopefully someone local will want him.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Give the guy a chance. Roos have their place in the flock too. If you feel like he isn't pulling his weight in giving you fertile eggs to hatch and protecting your flock, throw him in the pot. I think that people put too much on the feed that they eat. I dont think its that significant, especially if you free range. If your birds are strictly confined to a coop..thats a different story.

6. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:We are a rooster loving house, no worries about that. I have a giant FBC Maran roo and a number of roos running around waiting to be bought or eaten. We simply have no room for another rooster and I wanted a female orp hen [​IMG] How early can they be sexed? At a few weeks old?? Just curious.

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    In my very limited orp experience, I have been going on the theory that you can tell the hens by their early tail feathering. Roos dont' get tail feathers right away.
    BUT.... and there is always a but... I can only tell them at about a week of age, when those tail feathers are *just* starting. And you have to have a bunch to compare them. The older they get the harder it is to tell. We have some 15 weeks old that I am scratching my head over. I USED to know the hens from the roo. Now I think the black hen had a huge growth spurt but the white hen hasn't. If the hen really is a hen, and hasn't had a sex change. At least I know there is one of each!
    The two 1 -week old whites I picked out at Jody's in July I am pretty sure are hens, and the 8 blacks I got freshly hatched are 50/50. It took a week to see the tails.
    The two splash chicks we got at 6 weeks of age in May-- we were guessing at right up until the moment they crowed last week. I even posted pics here and opinion was divided. We are still happy with splash roos: one will get to be head roo next year.
    Now the Marans we could sex within a week or so and they haven't changed at all. They are so easy to sex compared to orps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by