black orpington + black orpingtons = huh ? pictures

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sierra pachie bars, May 13, 2011.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I hatched two black orphintons eggs this afternoon. I am 100% postive these are PURE. I seperated the black orphington roo along with only two black orpington females sometime ago. I gathed and incubated only two, before offing the rooster.
    I still have the two girls. I watched this egg hatch. I thought it was odd while hatching because i saw lots of white. Now that it is dry, well... NO way anything else can get to this pen, its covered with a top. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Were they split to lavender?? The white chick looks to have a grayish color on it's back, that would make it mottled lavender. [​IMG]

3. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    Yes they are all split to lavender. Just a shock to expect black and that comes out. [​IMG]

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Are you 100% sure no doubt about it they are black and not such a dark blue they look black? That's not a lavender chick-they are not that color at all but looks to be from a Blue Blue pen resulting in blue black and splash chicks. I have blue here so dark people call them black all the time.

5. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    100% sure they are no doubt blacks.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

They ARE split to lavender? Well, you have a lavender mottled. [​IMG] Lucky you!

7. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    so cute though![​IMG]

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Yup- Lavender Mottled. It'll slowly fill in with white-looking feathers, and then it'll start to be Lavender after that. Very nice! I'm trying to keep the mottled genes in my Lavenders while improving the overall shape...it's coming along slowly! Congrats!!

9. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    [​IMG] How lucky are you to have hatched a mottled lav!! [​IMG] Way to go. [​IMG] I would love to have a mottled or two running around but just don't have the gene in my crew. [​IMG] Post pics as it grows. [​IMG]

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I'll send you some eggs, Lady!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by