Black Orpington chick help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ATChicken, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ATChicken

ATChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    First thIs moBile app for IpHone Really Doesn't work Well. Sorry for mistakes.

Has ACV In water. Has aCess to Some yogurT. Has Had Pasty butt twice None today. ACting DisintRested in Food Unless I'm Hand Feed
    This iphone app for this forum is seriously driving me bonkers. I can't type for more than a few seconds when the keyboard disappears!! (Using notepad now hoping to copy and paste)

About my baby chick. It's like he has ups and downs. He has ACV in this water and had some yogurt as well. He is the smallest of the bunch and never lays with the others, but it deep in the ecoglow where I suspect is the warmest. I left for work thinking how well he is doing and tonight he is just kind of sitting around. He will get interested in food if I am serving him (on my finger) but really has no appetite like the others do. His poop is in an attached pic and it looks like there isn't as much white as there is in everyone else's. I've shown him the water and he drank a lot with his buddies this am. I gave them a little grit and a grape to share today. They are three days old and I'm worried.

He's the best lil guy and I would like some guidance. I don't know if the poop pic will help.

2. ATChicken

May 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    How is he doing? If he's still alive I would suggest getting an antibiotic powder and mixing it in the water.

4. masloozinit76

masloozinit76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    The poop pic looks pretty normal, they have that kind of poop every so many times of going. What is the yellow stuff? What kind of feed? Have you tried electrolytes and vitamins in the water? You will need to hand water him to be sure he is getting water. Chickens have to have water to regulate their body temp, digest food, etc. I see 5 days have passed since you posted, I hope all is okay!

5. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    Medicine in their water really helps them to stay healthy, I kept medicine in my chickens water for 8 weeks to make sure they were healthy. I had 5 chicks die of sickness until I put medicine in their water, then I only had 1 die of an unknown cause ( some kind of not growing disease thing). Chicks should always have medicated food of medicated water wether they are sick or not.
    Ps I hope the lil guy is okay!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. ATChicken

May 28, 2014
    I am so sorry that I have not updated this thread. I had to log on to see any replies actually, guess i have to update my account settings.

The black orpington chick is back in general population and seems to be doing ok. I think I was being an over - protective chicken mama. Thank gosh I found a local avian vet who smacked me back into reality! I really did have honest intentions and wanted to be sure that this lil guy was ok.

So, I hope to have updated pics on Monday, which will make all 4 of them 2 weeks old. They are still twice the black chicks size, so I have been told he could just be extremely runty. Everyone is flapping their wings and flying around by foot in the brooder. (which is now covered incidently)

I have them on medicated feed, and chose to have them all vaccinated before they were shipped to me. Once they are older, I was thinking about a week of Corid prior to turning them out into the coop. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for everyones input, its nice to have a great forum (from which I have just learned so much).

Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by