Black orpington - cock or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peppymike, Nov 28, 2014.

1. peppymike

peppymike Hatching

Nov 28, 2014
    Hi, I'm new on the forum and new to keeping orpingtons. I would be grateful for your opinions.

We brought 3 Black Orpington pullets a few months ago but since we got them the one in the photo has started to get flecks in it's feathers around it's neck and it's comb is a lot bigger than the other girls.

Is this a Black Orpington? Or a cross? Or is she male?

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance!

Michael

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager 5 Years

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

Sorry, but I think this is a rooster. Hope I am wrong, and those more experienced than me will reply.

3. StephensonC

StephensonC Songster

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Welcome to BYC!!

I think you have a rooster.

4. Oscarsgravett

Oscarsgravett Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    Welcome to byc!!!

I'm not an expert at all but i would say its a pure black orpington rather than a cross as it has the right sized breast and chunkie body for one. I think you may have a roo there however some pullet can mature much faster than others. My sussex's did the same thing we thought we had a rooster in our lot that we bought as pullets but she just matured faster than all the rest and layed 2 and a half weeks before the others did so dont give up hope :)she may be a girl. Try taking a picture of her with the others and posting it , it might make it easier to compare and decide. Lovely chicken though :love

5. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    That is a boy. You never look at JUST the comb. I see here, bright red droopy wattles, thick legs, green sheen on the feathers, and the give away are those very obvious saddle feathers; in which hens/pullers do not have. [​IMG]

6. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    Also, I do not believe that is a purebred black Orpington. It looks to be an Orpington mix. A true black Orpington would not have brown color anywhere (as yours has on the neck). Hope I helped!

How I know: I own and breed pure orpingtons [​IMG]

7. Oscarsgravett

Oscarsgravett Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    I didnt see the green sheen and the saddle feathers as i was looking at it on my phone and the pic was tiny but now i have seen a larger pic on my computer i completely agree with you

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely a rooster.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Rooster for sure.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana