Black Orpington Cockerel For KingsCalls & BamaChicken (PICS)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Julie, here's the boy I was telling you about. He's 11 weeks old and I think he has a beautiful head on him. His eyes have a nice darker color. I realized today that my black pullet has her daddy's lighter brown eyes, darn it. Her mama has very dark ones and I was hoping she'd get those, but nope. Still, I have no choice but to use her till I get more girls. Anyway, here's the black boy-what do you think of him? Silly boy had stuff stuck in his fluff, so pay that no mind.
DCP_9557.jpg

DCP_9556.jpg

DCP_9554.jpg

His sister, Delilah:
DCP_9560.jpg

DCP_9563.jpg

Katy, the eye color by standard is supposed to be very dark brown (or black, I think), however, I understand, from some knowledgable people, that it's more important to get the body type right then work on eye color. Suede's daddy has the golden brown color eyes and so does Suede, but Velvet and Skye both have very dark brown eyes. Most of the chicks, if I recall, have had dark eyes, but Delilah seems to take after her dad.
Sara, they're working on getting to China. We put them up yesterday and had to pull Bess, the BR pullet with the weird eye, out of the hole. Her head was way down in it and she was having the dustbath of a lifetime! Tom said he thought he'd found a dead, headless chicken, LOL.

He is looking good Cyn. Sorry I didn't see him sooner. My electricity went off around noon and was still off when I left for town and Church service at 3:30 this afternoon. Not good news for the Orps in the batore due to hatch SUN for Christina. I was planning on shipping Mon. Will have to see what happens now. I covered the bator with a thick towel when it went off. I don't know when they got it back on. We had some awful winds today and lots of trees and poles down.

We had awful winds all last night, too, Julie. It's been a soggy, windy mess here. I was finally able to let these older chicks outside late this afternoon and got the pics of this boy to show you. I'm tired of rain and wind!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom