Black orpington - cull or keep

ag29ande

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Delanson, ny
I have a trio of hens, blue, black, splash, and two unrelated cockerels, I think they are 7 months old. A blue and a black. I personally think the black rooser is of better quality, larger, rounder....but so mean and rough on the ladies. He hasn't attacked me but has gone after others. I had the bug black roo in with 11 hens and he still was ripping them apart.

My blue rooster is not nearly as handsome and smaller but is very gentle and friendly.

Do I cull my black rooster or keep him? Right now I have him separated by himself (he killed another rooster last week), but is very agitated and paces back and forth.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Cull him. Temperament is far more important IMO. Any bird that attacks is culled. No amount of pretty can make up for mean....and that's not just with birds

Temperament's also hereditary.....

Mamabrinkles

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
I wouldn't keep a roo that was terrorizing the rest of the flock. If you don't think your blue roo is strong enough, I'd be surprised if at this time of year you couldn't find someone looking to get rid of a roo they were hoping would be a hen.

Top Bottom