Black Orpington laying white odd shaped egg dies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Luettgenchicken, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Luettgenchicken

Luettgenchicken New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Wisconsin
    We have had our chickens 1.5 years. We just found our chicken dead. Her butt end was bloody. She had a few weird eggs near Christmas, one was large white and misshapen at one end. A couple of weird spotted eggs and a lighter egg than usual. I didn't see any acting weird.Besides regular egg laying organic eggs we also feed them scrap vegis. We have a light on all the time in the winter. The chickens live in a heat coop in winter and can go out to run but rarely do if it snows. What do you think happened. I was reading some other articles and thought maybe a blood issue. Any ideas? Thanks

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Im so sorry you lost her [​IMG]

I have no idea what happened I am new here.

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

1 person likes this.
  3. Luettgenchicken

Luettgenchicken New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Thanks.I feel bad, wondering what i could have done to prevent it. Or to help others if its a disease.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Could it have been a prolapse?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm guessing a prolapse also.
    Not that it caused the death, but lights on 'all the time'.... like 24/7 is not good for them and heat is not necessary.

Knowing more about your coop/run and flock might help solve the questions.....doing a necropsy could tell the tale too.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  6. Luettgenchicken

Luettgenchicken New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Our chicken house is fairly insulated although with the low temps their water froze in the house. So we have a dog house heater. It really only stays in the 40s in there at the highest. We have a thermometer in there. Our roost areas are like 3 drawers except the door falls down to open and those are not insulated, so thinking that the cold air gets in that way. The run door is also not insulated and that is open all day, we close at night for safety. It definitely isn't a hot coop. We had been turning on the light in the evening until 8ish but our timer screwed up the dog house heater and that's when we had frozen water. We didn't want the chickens getting frost bite.
    We just took the light out completely. It was also a source of heat but we were really doing it so they would continue laying through winter. We will see what happens with no light on. It gets dark like 4:30 here. So very short days. But we can do without a lot of eggs if it will keep them healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by