Black Orpington/Light Sussex cross?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SadieSue, May 9, 2011.

1. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm at lockdown tomorrow for my first ever hatch. I have some BCM and Salmon Faverolles eggs from local breeders due to hatch on Friday. However, just at the time I was setting my eggs, my new light sussex was laying and when I picked her up, the previous owner said she had just been mated so I knew there was a possibility her eggs may be fertile. Just for fun I tossed a few of her eggs in there. Well, wouldn't you know it, those little buggers have been active and growing like crazy. I checked and found that she may have been with an exhibition black orpington before we picked her up. Second runner up possibility for chicky daddy would be Golden Cuckoo Marans. I'm just curious - does anyone have the offspring of either of those crosses? If so, do you have any photos? The Orpington/Sussex cross would be some big babies I know, but I was wondering what their coloring might look like. Or how about the Cuckoo Marans/Light Sussex cross? Just pondering during the loooooonnnnnggg wait til hatch day...
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. SadieSue

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Nobody?

3. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    No idea but I'm watching this thread as I'd love to see that mix too!

4. SadieSue

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] just hope someone responds then!

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Having light sussex and black orps together I did the chicken calculator and it says all chicks will be black.I used the columbian hen with a black roo on the chart...

http://home.kpn.nl/h.meijers69/kruising.html?mgt

I don't know how to make Golden Cuckoo Marans on the chart so that one I can't tell you.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. SadieSue

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:Aha! Thank you - hopefully we'll find out on Friday when these babies are set to hatch!

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Now I need to watch to see what you get. Good luck and can't wait. [​IMG]

8. SadieSue

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:Oops - a little late getting back to this. So after my hatch on May 12th I posted photos and the breeder I had picked up my Light Sussex from determined that rather than an exhibition black orpington being the daddy, that it was her Golden Cuckoo Marans because one of the chicks, my sweet little girl "Juju" who was the first chick out, had feathered legs! Her brother however, does not. Although they resembled each other right after hatching, they are beginning to look a LOT different now.
    They are two weeks and a few days old now, but here they are at one week. I'll post more photos later -

Our little pullet, Juju -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And her brother, who is much bigger than she is, and has a very pronounced comb!
    [​IMG]

9. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    very cute! thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    They are so cute. It will be nice to see them grow and how different they look. hint hint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by