Black Orpington male or female??

That's a very clear male at that age. Any chicken breeder who knows even the simplest of basics about chickens would know. I am quite sure they knew it was male when they sold him to you. See his saddles and popping reddish comb?
They probably didn't know. A lot of people like to think they know more than they do. A lot of people also call themselves breeders just because they hatched some chicks.

They probably didn't know. A lot of people like to think they know more than they do. A lot of people also call themselves breeders just because they hatched some chicks.
I agree. Some facebook "breeders" in particular sell some extremely questionable stock. On another note, this cockerel has pretty feathered legs, beyond the stubs Orpingtons sometimes get. I wonder if he's a mix

I agree. Some facebook "breeders" in particular sell some extremely questionable stock. On another note, this cockerel has pretty feathered legs, beyond the stubs Orpingtons sometimes get. I wonder if he's a mix
That's a good catch. I didn't even notice. It looks like really prominent stubs to me, because the feathering type is that loose, Orpington feathering.
Any reason why he doesn’t crow?
English Orpingtons are notorious for not crowing until much later. I've had males go over nine months without exhibiting any male behavior.

Also, on a side note, he appears to be a very dark blue, not black.

I have learned with my last 2 chocolate orpington "hen to cockerel" surprises that orpingtons mature rather slowly which is why your Cockrell may not be crowing yet. Since I had females at the same time/age/ breed, I was able to see clear differences first in comb and wattle size. Females barely had any wattles from very early on. As noted in your pictures, I would have guessed he was a Cockrell. Also, their spurs tend to grow much more slowly.

Back
Top Bottom