Black Orpington: Pullet or Rooster ???!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Annilee07, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Annilee07

Annilee07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    This is Inky out 3.5-4 week old black orpington we have had for 2 weeks. We think it is a she due to her very small pale comb compared to 2 of the others her age when we bought her. The others chicks combs were bigger and had more color. But my chick has high tail feathers and LARGE feet/legs. We adore this chick and are crossing our fingers and toes Inky is a she... Any thoughts!!!!?

thoughts ??![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hm. I think it is hard with orpingtons...mine are nearly six weeks and I'm still not entirely sure! Can't tell.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] & I think She's going to be beautiful !

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Welcome to BYC!

As for sexing, I'm thinking that it's a 50/50 chance as a pullet or roo. I'm thinking pullet, but there's still the probability it's a cock. You'll know for sure in a month.

5. sandie44

sandie44 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    I think she is a pullet.

6. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Me too. She has a feminine look to her face but you'll know for sure pretty soon [​IMG]

7. Annilee07

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone! Inky is so sweet! I just got done hanging out with the chicks ( i know i'm a dork! but I just love them) she flew onto my shoulder and hung out for quite awhile cooing .... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

8. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Nothing better than hanging with the babies and then the teens and then the big girls! I love going out and sitting with my girls!!! Right now I have babies and big girls so I spend a lot of time in the coop!!! :)

BTW...I think your baby is a pullet, too!! Fingers crossed!

9. Annilee07

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the responses... I'm still convinced Inky is a she. Here is a picture of her aprox 4.5-5 weeks. I think she is so gorgeous, he disposition is so quiet and calm, LOVES to be held! Thanks again! - Annie [​IMG][​IMG]

10. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I'm almost 100% certain that it's a pullet!! :) I have a Buff Orpington that is a total sweetheart, too and loves to be cuddled!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by