Black Orpington Puzzler--Adonis or Addie? (Pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, May 1, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This kid is 7 weeks old. He isn't even feathered in all the way yet, bare neck sides, bare butt, bare under the wings, just like any Orp male would be. Legs are HUGE, just like his/her mama's were. The puzzler is that the comb is still not pink at all, though I see that the wattles are just now pinkening up some. The mama, my hen, Smoky, was thought to be a cockerel for weeks because she feathered in just like a male and had thick legs so maybe this is a girl taking after mama.Cetawin wants him to be Adonis, but I'm afraid it may be Addie instead. Hopefully, he's just slow to make himself known, but even the body shape says pullet to me. Darn Orps, always playing tricks on me. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm voting pullet, though it really is close one, isn't it? I think its wattles make me think roo, as do the legs, but something about the head shape and the LACK of comb height makes me think pullet...weird!

3. speckledhen

You see what I mean, then? This is the slowest feathering female I've ever seen, if it is, indeed, a pullet. Here is a pic of its daddy, Suede, with my Velvet (may she rest in peace) when they were the exact same age:

[​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I vote pullet as well. I think those thick legs are deceiving. Looks girly to me.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I DO have to say: The pullets who have pulled this number on me have been the ones whose booties nearly touch the ground when they're mature...if this turns out to be a girl, you probably have a smokin' hot, big caboose girl on your hands!!

And LOVELY new badges, ladies, both of you! I am honored to be in your company!

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. speckledhen

Congrats on your award, too, Renee. I know there will be many more awards bestowed in the upcoming months to many deserving members.

Wish I could find a picture of mama Smoky when she was very young, but not sure I have pics of her at that time since I was thinking she was a cockerel about to be rehomed. If this one takes after mama, she sure will have a big caboose!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] [​IMG] It is a girl! Smoky dang it....I have 3 girls from you. I want a boy [​IMG]

Here is Thor at approx the same age...about 6 weeks old

[​IMG]

10 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Maybe this one will fool us a pop a comb and red wattles overnight.

8. speckledhen

We can only hope, LH. I'm not at all sure of the eggs under Emily anymore. Tried to candle again and can only verify June's is growing.Could have sworn I saw veining in Dusty's eggs the first time. I need to wait till it's either raining and dark or after dark, period. There are still the ones under Nugget, though, but her Day 21 is the day I leave for Lori's to come to your place. [​IMG]

Found picture of Smoky close to the age of Adonis for you:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I say pullet.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would say pullet too. I never go by how fast or slow feathering they are on orps - either sex can be slow feathering or fast feathering. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by