Black Orpington Roo or hen?

Ginacbird

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
This is Ping who was born on 2/11/14. I ordered a Chocolate, but this bird is jet black. I am not sure what happened there, but I would like to know if I have a hen or roo.

Thanks for the feedback. What makes you think a roo, so I can learn how to tell?

I would guess rooster as well just based on how pink his comb is already and the little wattles coming in. My Orpington hens combs always stay very small and yellow until they are getting ready to lay their first egg.

I would also say roo, because the comb and wattles are already getting big..and they are reddening up. Hens usually have smaller combs and wattles (if any) and they usually stay a light pink / yellowish until the hen is almost mature. But this also depends on the breed of chicken. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback certainly explains why there is so much fighting going on in the brooder of 5 chickens that seem to be all turning out to be roos.:( Maybe I can find them homes.
lau.gif

Thanks for all the feedback certainly explains why there is so much fighting going on in the brooder of 5 chickens that seem to be all turning out to be roos.:( Maybe I can find them homes.
lau.gif

Well and they are pretty big to still be in a brooder....unless it's a really big one! At this age and size they'll be getting bored and cranky and getting on each other's nerves whether they are pullets or roo's.

They are in a brooder/chicken tractor combo we have built. I take them out during the day when it is nice, and bring them back into the garage at the end of the day. We have had a really bad winter this year, so the ground is like a giant wet sponge. They are getting out of the brooder as much as possible, but don't want them to get sick because of getting too wet. It is just a mess here, so I go out stomp around to find the driest place possible and plant them for the day.
They didn't get to go out today due to constant rain today. This is what I found when going to check their food and water this evening.
Guess someone has cabin fever. Oh well tomorrow is going to be better day for them to go out. We are planning on building a large chicken house this summer, so they will be happy for the upgrade. For now they are hanging out in the 3 car garage, and it's heated.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom