Black Orpington?

meko1

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
I'm new to raising chickens, but I think I might have gotten screwed on my chick purchase. These are supposed to be Black Orpingtons, but they don't look like that to me. Can anyone tell me what they are?

welcome to BYC!
Can you shut off the heat light for a minute to take a picture so that the color isn't distorted? The chicks will be fine without it for the time it takes to snap some pictures and it will make it easier to ID them.
That being said, what I can see appears to be barring (black and white patterning) on the wings where they are feathering in - is that accurate? The white head dot would also indicate barring genetics. These are definitely not black orpingtons, what they *are* could be a few different breeds or mixes -- show or describe the leg color?

welcome to BYC!
Can you shut off the heat light for a minute to take a picture so that the color isn't distorted? The chicks will be fine without it for the time it takes to snap some pictures and it will make it easier to ID them.
That being said, what I can see appears to be barring (black and white patterning) on the wings where they are feathering in - is that accurate? The white head dot would also indicate barring genetics. These are definitely not black orpingtons, what they *are* could be a few different breeds or mixes -- show or describe the leg color?
x2

Both pics are of the same bird. How do you tell the sex? I'm afraid 5 of the 6 are boys.

The bars on males and females are slightly different. Males have a wider white bar than females, as a result they feather in lighter. For example:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/ClutchHutch/Our Own Stock/DCP_7420.jpg
I found this pic as a good comparison, the cockerel and pullet are both about 4 months of here. As you can see the one in the front has Mitch more white than the one in the back.
Also to look at, the size and redness of the comb. Cockerels will redden up and grow much sooner than a pullet. Pullets won't turn red until onset of laying.
Hope that helps!

welcome-byc.gif

I'd definitely contact the hatchery and have them send you the correct chicks. I agree those look like barred Rock males.

Back
Top Bottom