@@ BLACK ORPINGTON @@

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jkpnelly, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jkpnelly

jkpnelly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Breeders. Is there anyone out there? I need some. Please post what you have.

2. joegoatman

joegoatman New Egg

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm also looking for black Orps. blues whites laced also

Any breeders in N.W. Washington? San Juan Islands?

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    hmmm I wouldn't mind having a blue orpington....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Check the orp site, I think there are emails of breeder, but don't know if it says what colors they have. I believe if you join you get a breeders list.

Finding good orps is hard work. They do not just magically fall out of the sky.

I'm learning you have to forge relationships and be persistent to get them. [​IMG]

6. wilds of pa

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Jimmy47-Blue, Black & Splash

To save folks some time and effort in their search: The last time I was in contact with Jim Cox, he said he no longer has his birds due to his and his wife's health issues.

Hope this info is helpful.

Rusty​

8. wilds of pa

Ok, thanks Rusty for the update on that..

Charlie

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'd still suggest going to the breed club, buy your Orpingtons from someone that knows something about them, who owns birds, and can tell you all about the bloodlines. You want to start with the best birds you can afford/aquire. Save yourself a lot of headaches [​IMG]

Be careful with Sandhill birds, I've heard yellow legs pop up, I got one myself with that issue, so she has to go.. [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Miss Prissy and Tuffoldhen, right here on BYC, sell hatching eggs from their wonderful stock of blue, black and splash orp breeding. I'm sure you could get some wonderful black birds to hatch from their eggs. [​IMG]

As with many breed clubs, there are good breeders and bad breeders, and some who don't even breed - so it's still buyer beware. There are many great breeders who are not members of a club due to the political nature involved with the membership. In my experience, breeds clubs tend to stay in a circle of peers who choose not to share their stock unless you beg, borrow and steal. I'd prefer not to be a part of that.

Good, positive relationships come from years of working with other poultry enthusiasts and don't come overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by