Black Orpingtons And Feather Growth

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TwoCrows, Apr 7, 2012.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a question for you experts on Black Aussies. Does this breed have more feathers than the average large breed chicken? I spoke with someone here many months ago about how Aussies DO have more feathers and require more protein than other large breed birds. I am considering using a 26% feed on them to help support the feathers and protein needs of these birds. Is this a good idea for my Black Aussies? Will this cause any adverse effects on them? They seem to be more feathers than meat!! LOL

Edit to add: I just realized the subject I used is Black Orpingtons...I am talking about Black Australorps. I tried to go back and edit the subject, but it is not letting me do it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    black orpington are the foundation breed for australorps and they are also a softfeather, a little more heavy feathered than some breeds..i show them a lot, they seem to look and feel better on little higher protien..especially in winter when there isnt much protien avail outside..
    i actually keep both blk orps as you can see in avatar and aussies..pic below. chickens are omnivors so we make sure they have summer grazing pastures where they find juicy buggs as well as tender greens.
    [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Actually I believe it was YOU that I talked to here many months ago. You had mentioned offering up ground beef occasionally to up the protein. So you think that this 26% protein level is ok for my Aussies? I also keep gamebirds, which eat this high protein feed. I definitely think higher protein during a molt is a good idea for Aussies??

Oh, and I just love your birds! Gorgeous Aussie roosters!

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    oh thanks, thats ben the aussie rooster..he is out of east coast champions..we are having fertility issues with him this year..it might just be that the hen i put in with him largly ignores him..he seems to ignore her as well..too bad..would make some top birds..if i could just convince them of that..[​IMG]

yes a couple months befor show especially for the babies..i do give them some gr beef at least 1 day a week, it has to be ground very fine .even for the bigger ones, it helps a molting bird recover with some really nice glow..chickens like people can get gout so you just have to be careful to not give too much..a little goes a long way..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by