Black Plymouth Rocks? Pics, please.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Julie_A, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Do you raise black plymouth rocks? If you do, please post pics. I have BRs and a PR and am interested in other Rock colors like black, blue and Columbian.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hey Julie

halo has Black and Blue Rocks. Yard Full O Rocks has Columbians. IF you are looking for anymore PRs, let me know if you find any good quality ones, I'd like to have a small flock of them.

3. Julie_A

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Hey! I saw Halo's egg offer earlier. Those are beautiful birds. If we were closer, I'd give you this partridge roo. He's gorgeous. Bought him from a guy in Florida who hatched him from eggs in Michigan (I think). He's the only PR I have.

I'm interested in the black rocks. Haven't really seen much on here about them.

Glad to see you back online. Loving that fast satellite connection?

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Oh yeah, I just installed the HughesNet a few minutes ago and this is my first time trying it, and so far I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much faster than dial-up. If there's anyone else still suffering from dial up, it is worth it to swith to HughNet. So Yes, Julie, I should be here on BYC for good now.

I would like to have some PRs but I want hens and a roo when I get them, I had another lady offer me just a hen, but she was way too far away.

And I don't think many people do have the Black Rocks, halo is the only "breeder" I know of. I really want some Spash Rocks from her so I can do project breeds. But I already have too many chickens and not enough money, I'll probably have a big sale on young pullets and roos, my current BR hens, and turkeys in another month or so.

BTW on my SS, I'm expecting it to be at least a month before I sell anymore eggs (that's is if they are laying again by then) to add to that, I came home today and found most of my SS out and they could have been bred by the BR roos that have been free ranging, and a few of the BR hens were in the SS pen with the one SS roo that was left in there. So I need to shut them back up with their correct breeds and let them get "pure" again before I sale anymore, but I'll let you know when I have them.

5. Julie_A

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I had a couple sussex in that order from bargain. I sure wish we were closer. Would love to take a few of those pullets off your hands. What all are you thinking of selling?

6. Julie_A

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I am selling several chickens this weekend. Tried to raise a few black sexlinks, but am letting them go along with the sexlinks I hatched in the incubator with my welsummers. Also taking most of my RIRs. Want to have a good start for next year with quality birds that have some sort of history, unlike these birds that I just randomly purchased.

OOH, bought two silkie chicks for my daughter. One's blue and the other's black. Cutest little things!

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I have several little roos that I raiseed, some are SS and a few BRs and Sexlinks, Then I will have some pullets that are ones I'm not keeping for breeding next spring, I should have some BOs, SLWs, Sexlinks, BRs and my older BR breeding hens (probably 10-12 of them, I'm thinking I will replace them with 6-8 of the young BR pullets.)
    I won't have any SS pullets for sale for a while though, bc I am going to cull at least 2 of my 10 breeding hens and try to build the flock back up to 12 hens and I don't know how many pullets I have yet and I will use the best ones to build the flock up. Then I will probably sell 6 or 7 various aged turkeys and maybe a few young ducks by then. I need to cut back so I can make room for Mottled Javas that I hope to get soon. I have to check with about 3 other people to see if they are still interested before I sell anything though.

By next spring I hope to have eggs for sale in Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Buff Orps, SLWs, Gold Sexlinks, EEs, Seramas, Turkeys, and a few BC Marans in early Summer.

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'll have blues and blacks from Halo's eggs come Spring, I've a black roo, Armageddon, and a blue hen, Lenore, and a blue pullet, Rythm, or two??? coming up - will probably hatch MORE from Halo's eggs since those that hatched this time were nearly all male... sigh. He'll be penned with my last PR as well. Her name is George. LOL. Black to PR yields Black bleeding red, usually shoulders/hackles - pretty and usually very large. They at least sell well at swaps. Huge birds always do.

I have some barreds but they're not in that pen. They're in with the Dels. They're just layers for me. Not as large as Halo's birds.

I'll try to get pics today but things are wayyy chaotic around here right now. I've a ton of work to do while the sun shines.

Cher

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have three black plymouth rock hens, out of Halo's flock. I will come back and edit this post when I am able to get some photos of them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by