black poo

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JLaw, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok so i'm in upstate ny. I live next to a grape field and they just did grapes my chickens and turkeys tend to go there a lot I keep chasing them out each day it seems like for past week. Today I notice the turkeys have black diarrhea with what looks like red grape seeds in them. I tried taking a pencil I found outside that was split in half and tried squeezing the red to make sure wasn't blood but was hard as a rock so guessing seeds.

These are BBB's for thanks giving on tom on hen homed with my chickens. No black head out breaks up here that i'm aware of. Now do ya'll think its from too many grapes or could there be something else wrong. I could get a pic but it almost looks like roofing tar to me. I see no worms or anything in them. The hen just did a real liquid one where looks like water with some black poo in middle. These birds was born in june so not too young. I've been feeding dumor starter grower. I cant find any thing else with as high protein around here. I do plan on putting some scratch in the food and fermenting the food this week but want to wait till this is handled first.

Thanks for any help sorry if this is just over reacting to too many grapes.

josh

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’d bet a lot of your money and a little of mine that it is the grapes. It is not a problem. You can relax.

If you want real excitement from something like that, feed them cooked beet skins left over from canning beets. You’d be convinced they are pooping blood but it will not harm them.

3. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok thanks i always think the worst. And this close to thanks giving i didn't want to loose them

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No offense intended, but how do you know that you don't have blackhead in your area? If you can, post a picture of the poop. It's also probably a good idea to get a baseline weight on them and then weigh them once a week...

-Kathy

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Pen them for 24hrs, with their regular feed and observe the droppings. Easiest way to differentiate the results of gizzards working as `wine presses' from some unknown affliction.

6. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Going to pen them tomorrow I need to make a chicken door right now everyone uses the human door in my 12x8 coop. This way at least hens and roo can get out while turkeys stay inside.
    no offence taken good question. I haven't heard of anyone around here having it with they're turkeys. Truly I only know a few people around me but the people on ny state thread here on byc said they haven't had problems nor heard of anyone up here having problems with black head. All but one house turkeys with chickens cept one person I think.

As for weighing them they are a pain to catch much less hold while trying to weigh them. I did catch grapes our hen but that was just to check vent area out she had some burrs stuck to her I wanted off.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I guess I'm super sensitive when people say that they've noticed a change in poo color, 'cause that's what happened to the guy I sold two peacocks to... He called me on Monday and said that his two were pooping black liquid poop, were acting off and one had just died. Of course he had no way to treat them, so I offered to pick up the survivor and treat it here. I treated him with fluids and metronidazole, but it was too late, he died three hours later. In the spoiler are some pictures I took of the necropsy and there you will see the color of his poop.

-Kathy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    yeah mine is all black. today it looks like its going back to normal slowly. I tried to lock them up in big coop and built a 11 1/4in by 12in high pop door and the dang things squeezed out it. guess they didn't want to be in there. But they went to my small 4x8 coop and was eating younger chickens food so I locked them in there no pop door there suckers lol. Looking around the yard I see what looks like chicken poo black from yesterday probably after I went to work. I'm guessing just grapes but i'll try to get a pic of turkey poo later if I remember atm trying to redo some stuff on coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by