Black poop, wondering if it's the veggies....

Mommy Melly

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
We have some black poop in the coop and run. Black like tar, not dark brown. Otherwise it's a normal looking. I started juicing recently and have been giving them the fibre. I was wondering if it could be something I have feed them. There is lots of Kale and beets in the mix (I know what that does to me LOL)

The reason I ask is we had a hen die a few days ago. At the time I wasn't too worried about the rest of the flock cause she was a very old girl. I figured it was her time. Now I'm getting all worried that there is something wrong with the flock.

Another side note....we powdered the flock for chicken lice last week. Done this before and everyone was fine.

Might be over thinking random events....

Thanks in advance "Amazing Chicken People" xoxo

Foods will color up poop big time. Many really wet veggies and fruits will give dark runny poop. The best thing you could try is cut out all the veggies and fruits for a day or so and if the color and consistency clears up, then it was the food. If the poop remains funky, then you probably have something else going on there.

Beets can do it. I will add that chickens will eat charcoal if they can find it. I tends to turn the poop black. Not saying that is what yours did, just an interesting fact.

Thanks. We do have a fire pit that they scratch in sometimes. I may have just not noticed the black poop before. I will definitely remove the suspect veg and see if it clears up. If its just the color I'm not worried about it. As long as they are healthy :)

Even the tiniest bit of charcoal will turn the poop jet black. My girls used to get into the garden where we thru ashes from the wood stove. Black poop constantly!

Back
Top Bottom