Black poop???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nautical_bouy, May 17, 2008.

1. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    The Cornish X are new to me, I have never had birds with these troubles before. They are 7ish weeks now,,, one died last week,, culled two yesterday that had runny poo and didn't move for two days,, put the remaining 9 in a tractor with cracked corn hoping to keep away from where the sick ones were,,, today,, one more not moving and I saw piles of what looked like black RTV from another.

Any Ideas what it is? What should I do? Cull or process them,,, I don't want to eat a sick bird.

I have a mixed flock and the only other 3 losses were two from hawks and one at sunset from an owl.

The rest are all healthy.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Those birds are usually ready for processing around 8 weeks. You are seeing what happens when they grow so fast and reach butchering age.

3. nautical_bouy

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    I didn't expect so much trouble so fast, they were free range untill a few days ago and were up and running with the rest of the birds.

My main question is, should they be safe to eat? Or should I start with the lethargic one and open it up to check for cavity fluid and condition of the liver?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Never eat a sick bird.

5. nautical_bouy

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Should I just cull and take the loss or do you think they will get better? Oh,,, and the one with the tarry poo is acting fine.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Probably have cocci. Mine have had it and I just treated it. They are still young though and not as close to butchering as yours are. I'm hoping that now that they are out in the tractor, and I'm moving it daily that they won't get it again.

7. tuskajones

tuskajones Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2007
    Sewickley, PA
    Hi Gary--I am in Sewickley so just down the road from you.

I have my first ever batch of cornish x that are 5 weeks old today. I have about 25 of them. I have lost one to cocci (I assume) which I culled last week and one just laid down and died in the brooder. Right now, I have two that have bad legs and I don't know how much longer they will last. I don't feel like babying them so I am trying to decide whether to have them processed this week. They'll be good for appetizers I guess since they are still on the small side!

The person that I have lined up to process them is new to me too so I figure processing the ones with the bad legs this week will give me a glimpse to his set up, etc.

I am new to this and I have found this last week with all the rain to be particularly hard--moving the tractor in between storms and making sure they don't get soaked. It has been exhausting for me and frankly I am ready for them to be done with. I hope we all make it to 8 weeks!

Glad to "meet" someone in the area!

Kelly

8. nautical_bouy

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    First off, Hi Kelly, it's my pleasure, second,,, you have to be off the creek road or some where like that,,,, I don'r believe there are any chickens in Sewickley that wern't frozen,,,lol Unless your the anti posh up in the heights,,,[​IMG]
    Have any birds to trade? Also, let me know if your up for some processing this week, mine are ready..

Gary

9. tuskajones

tuskajones Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2007
    Sewickley, PA
    Hi Gary--Yes we are in the anti-posh township of Aleppo. We have 7 ducks we keep for eggs. This is my first try at chickens. Very different creatures than ducks.

I am up for processing! I culled my first bird all by myself last week--a watershed moment.
    Do you do your own processing?

I have many more questions for you. Might be better to contact me off the forum so we don't clog it up. I am at [email protected].

Nice to have a fellow chicken person so close. Sounds like you have a ton of experience!

Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by