Black pullet and golden/white hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Count Orloff, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    I finally wired up my coop this evening so that my birds can get that extra light to encourage them to start laying. My original five Buff Orpingtons were born in late May, so I figure they should be getting ready to lay soon, although it doesn't really bother me that they didn't start before the days got shorter. I snapped a picture of the light I installed, but I was also wondering if anybody could identify the breed of both the black pullet and the golden and white one. The picture quality isn't the greatest. The black one has a little bit of a green sheen to her feathers. She also has some white on her ear lobes. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Your golden/white pullet is a Red Sex-Link (aka Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Red Star, etc.). Your black pullet is a Black Sex-Link. [​IMG]

3. Count Orloff

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    Thanks - I'll have to read up some on sex-link hens. In other words, it is a mix of breeds?

4. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yes, they are a cross of breeds to make sex-link chicks (chicks that can be sexed by color at hatch). Red Sex-Links are usually Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White, and Black Sex-Links are usually Rhode Island Red x Barred Plymouth Rock. Hatcheries breed Sex-Links for excellent egg production, so when your pullets start laying they should really start laying! [​IMG]

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yeah what Cowgirl said!!

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I think the black one is a boy.

7. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yes, the black one may be a roo, depending on how old it is. Do you know how old s/he is? If it is a roo, then it isn't a Black Sex-Link, it's a mutt.

8. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    My sex links are my best layers!!!! I am not sure on your black one but the other one is a pullet.

9. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I love sex links! They are such good layers^.^

10. Count Orloff

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    Quote:Why is it that if it is a pullet then it's a Sex-Link, but if it's a roo then it's a mutt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by