1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Rangers? New To Me

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GAchickennewbie, Feb 4, 2015.

1. GAchickennewbie

GAchickennewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    I was at a gentleman's house today picking up a few laying pullets and he also had black rangers. Said they're a new strain of meat bird.

Has anyone ever heard of them? Experiences, thoughts, and opinions welcome :)

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Meyer Hatchery offers these as their latest strain. Said to grow a little slower, be more active and finish at 13 weeks. So I guess they are a new thing, similar to red rangers. I 've never had meat birds, I just googled it since you were asking. [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I got red rangers and black rangers last year from Freedom Ranger Hatchery. This was my first time raising Freedom Rangers, so I am by no means an expert. My experience with the black ones was not good. They were shipped together and housed together, so they were under the same conditions. I lost 8 of 25 within the first week, plus 2 DOA. The only red ones that died were when our 6-month old puppy was left unsupervised for a few hours. The black ones took longer to mature - I think we processed them at 13 or 14 weeks. They were noticeably smaller than the reds that we had processed two weeks before, and I don't think the carcasses looked as nice. The pinfeathers were also harder to get out. The black rangers from the hatchery you're looking at may be totally different. I'm just sharing my one-time experience. I know that for myself, I will not be getting the blacks again.

4. GAchickennewbie

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    Thank you :) It was hard for me to find them at first on Google :)

Interesting. Thank you. His were right at 4 weeks old. Was the meat good?

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It tasted like chicken...[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I have freedoms and blacks from Freedom hatchery.

All chicks, both reds and blacks were the same as for surviving shipping and chick-hood- no DOA and all thrived and grew very fast their first couple months.

The freedoms did grow faster and heavier but it was also obvious there was something "very heavy"- I'm guessing Cornish- in their ancestry. A few roosters did get so big they went down and couldn't get up and had to be culled. The remaining roo is with standard size hens but so far eggs are infertile... not exactly surprised as he has a very hard time just getting on and staying on a hen during breeding. He has zero agility... I have not put him over the freedom hens so, cannot comment on whether if he is able to breed naturally at all. (the freedom hens are BIG- probably easier for him to get and stay on long enough to complete breeding motions)

The blacks are much more like a faster growing, slightly bigger than the typical dual purpose breed. They do remind me of black sex-links in physical appearence although there is no barring on any of the males. None of them went down, and none have mobility problems(a few of the freedom hens waddle). I understand they are primarily for the immigrant /Asian market favoring darker chickens.

During their first few months, they were extremely active.. would guess great for a free range set up. Mine weren't allowed free range at all.. they got annoying at times by getting into everything.. knocked over feed and water very frequently etc. On the other hand, they are naturally fearless, would make good pets or a tamer flock for utilitarian purposes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. GAchickennewbie

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    I'm looking at them as potential meat birds. It's important to me that any meat birds I raise get to live a good life before processing.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Mine were very active, too, and loved to free range. Maybe it was just a fluke that it was all the black ones that died right away, I don't know. But I did like the size of the reds better.

9. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah I agree the size of the reds are better for meat. Do you still have any of either reds or blacks?

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It's my first time with the rangers also.. I would guess on average, most of the rangers(reds, dixie, rainbows, freedoms etc) will do fine if your goal is to process all of them at the suggested ages. The freedoms do show a lot more of their meat ancestry as they mature past their butcher ages- some are waddling, want to sit down a lot more etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by