black rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Poupoulles, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    My partridge rock rooster and barred rock hen have made an all black baby. Comb is inky black, legs are mostly black, feathers totally black... I hope its a hen. I will try and post a picture if I can.
    Have any of you Plymouth Rock fanciers seen an all black? Any opinions?
    Feathersite has a "black" cockerel that looks suspiciously partridge to me, and there is a black hen, but she has a red comb. hmmm?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    How old is this "baby?" If it is doesn't even have its true feathers in yet, then it isn't that it is actually black. Barred chickens at a young age are often black or black an white.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    This would be a sex-linked cross, and you would expect black pullets and barred cockerels. You may get some color bleeding through the black later, but at hatch, the pullets should be all black.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  5. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    excellent! thank you everyone
    its about 8-9 weeks old or so

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree, it would be a sexlink and it would be a hen. There is a variety of solid Black Plymouth Rocks that breed true, halo has some, I guess yours would still be called a black rock, but she is likely to have some goldish color bleeding through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by