Black roo over blue and black hens=huh?! *new pics at bottom*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minihorse927, Jul 27, 2011.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    When these eggs were put into the incubator all I had in the pen was 2 black roos and 2 blue hens and 2 black hens. These are silkies. How in the world did I end up with this buff looking chick? I have never had them produce this before and there is no way anything else was in there as they were the only roosters of any color or breed in that barn! Sorry the pic is a little blurry, newly hatched didn't like having to sit still. I wil get some better ones tomorrow once things calm down in the incubator.
    It has very faint yellow colored stripes and then sorta buff color in between them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I don't know but I'm watching to find out too.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Could it be a splash colored chick? I forget how the BBS works.

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I would almost bet that one of your black roos is really a dark blue instead. If that's the case, this would be a Splash chick. [​IMG]

A Blue x Blue mating = 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash

To test mate, pair off both of your Black males with Black hens. Black x Black will give you 100% Black. If you get a Blue chick from the matings, then one of the boys is a Blue!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Quote:It will be a month or two before I can do this since I had to combine all my silkies together [​IMG] I am definitely going to do it though so I can figure out how in the heck I got this little (hopefully) girl. It is definitely staying so I can see what it turns out to be. If it is a splash it will be the first one here!
    Imagine my suprise when I walk by and see 3 little black heads looking at me and then 5 minutes later a yellow head, I was like what the heck?!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree that one of your blacks is probably actually a very dark blue.

7. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Ok, weird chick # 2 now. I will take pics tonight when I get off work. This one has same color pattern but has 2 or 3 very black spots on its body and head? This one is still wet so I am going to wait till it dries to see how dark the spots are. I am believing I need to check my "black" roos over...

8. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    These are my two oddballs, everyone else is blue or black.
    [​IMG]Same chick as pictured in post one
    [​IMG]
    Second chick hatched

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by