Black roo, white hen......(silkies)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicmom, Jan 4, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, I'm sure this has been addressed a thousand times, but I just found out my two little silkies are male and female. The roo being black, and the hen being white. I am wondering, if the little hen ever goes broody, what colors will the chicks be?

Stormy, my little rooster, still has some of his baby fuzz, but he really isn't a jet black. He's not blue, or grey. He's sort of charcoal black, rather than a jet black, if you can picture that.

Any input you all could give would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Anybody? I would appreciate your input! Hellooooooo? [​IMG]

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have a dark Partridge Silkie roo and I cross him with white hens and black hens. I get white chicks, partridge chicks, blue chicks and black chicks. It just really depends on what genetically is behind your birds and if the white is dominant or recessive.

I can tell you they will be cute![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Nadine, I guess it'll be a surprise then--either white or black, but not a mixture like grey?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You would get gray if they are carrying the gene for it and they both give a gene for it. Genetics aren't like water colors, they don't quite mix that way.

7. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:ChickensAreSweet, thank you so much for that link. It will be a surprise for sure, because I got the chicks from a friend who bought hatching eggs from someone else, so I don't know their genetics......

What fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by