black roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gracie58, Aug 4, 2014.

1. gracie58

gracie58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    hi i am new here, i have 3 black roosters and 11 hens i was wondering if it normal for the roosters to attack the hens they are only 17 weeks old, is there anything i can do to stop them before they kill the hens thank you

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You need to keep the adult roosters away from the pullets until they are grown and more mature. The proper ratio for roosters to hens is 1 rooster to 10 hens. So you will need to remove two of these roosters.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I think what you are seeing as "attacks" is mating behavior - which when they are first figuring it out can be a bit rough, clumsy and not at all romantic - especially since the boys seem to become interested in it before the girls. They are very much at the age where this is "normal" behavior.
    That being said, with three roosters and 11 hens you have a fairly significant imbalance in your flock and the girls are going to bear the brunt of that in a very unpleasant way. You will either need to house your roos separately in a "bachelor pad" arrangement, increase the number of females or decrease the number of males. Failing to take one of these steps will result in hens who are harassed and overmated to the point that you will see an impact in their health and their productivity (stressed hens don't lay) - and also possibly roosters who are injured in the battle for the too few females to go around.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as more roosters than the 10 to 1 ratio can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). You need to either get rid of two of those roosters, or else get rid of the most aggressive one and add some more hens to your flock. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. gracie58

gracie58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    i dont know what to do with the roosters, i dont have the heart to kill them and i dont have anyone to give them to, what if i keep the roosters in the chicken coop, how long would i have to keep them in there? i heard that black roosters are the meanest around is that true? they are all black even their feet, i also have a male and female little fluffy ones with feathers on their feet

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    No, the personality of the rooster depends on the breed and how he was raised. Black roosters are no different from others.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Mountain Peeps. The color has nothing to do with a rooster's disposition. As far as what to do with them, you could ask at your local feed store if anyone might want a free rooster. Perhaps they might have a bulletin board which you could advertise them on. Or you might check with the local 4h club and see if anyone there is interested, or list them on Craig's List. Good luck with your roosters.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The best thing to do is physically separate the males from the hens - before they end up overbreeding and killing your girls.

Which is worse, getting rid of the roosters, or having them end up killing your hens? They aren't going to out grow this behavior and as roosters get older they are very likely to kill each other in displays of dominance.

We can decide for you, it's a decision you have to make and take responsibility for.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by