Black Rose Combs, Completive in the show ring?(Pics added pg 3)

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
I have aquired some black Rose Combs and was wondering how they would do at a show. Are Rose Combs popular at shows? The last one I went to, I didn't notice how many there were. There were a lot of bantam barred rocks, bantam RIR and bantam OEG for sure.
So, could I have a shot with them at best bantam or....Best in show?
celebrate.gif

(I am asking about hypathetically of course and maybe not even with this group I have now, but maybe their babies;) )

l_f3a599ca9cb14b45910798419d1937f7.jpg

l_e912187bab864dee8569dcdeae4b95fa.jpg

I will get better pictures, if it ever stops SNOWING!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I don't think you'll do too well with these, but maybe you'll get a couple nice babies from them.

Their earlobes aren't very round, and the roosters tail isn't great, though the hens' looks better so maybe some of the babies will have improved tail type

They came from a totally enclosed cage type home that is rarely (if ever) cleaned. So I think the tail on the roo will improve after he is cleaned up. But there is nothing I can do about earlobes.
OK, that is what I wanted to know.
The roo looks to be about 3 or 4 years old by his spur length. I did cut them once already, but they are still long.
I was told they were good quality, but sometimes quality is in the eye of the beholder.
wink.png

OK, so I went out and looked at them real good. There is maybe one hen that is show quality. So, I think I am going to take these to the sale.
Now I need a black bantam of some kind that IS truly show quality to replace them for my son. He loves Bantams and he loves black bantams best. He has had a Black Dutch (I sold, not good enough,) a Black half Sebright half Serama, (sold mixed breed) and not these. Maybe black OEG? are they a good kids bird? I hate dubbing though.
sickbyc.gif

I took this pic of my roo earlier ...(Im trying to sell eggs on here) and mine are a work in progress. They would do well in a small show or fair but there is some stiff competition at the big shows. There are many breeders out there that have spent a better part of their life perfecting their lines.

100_3697.jpg

Quote:
erin!! is that my roos bro?? cuz if i recall correctly theyre the same age and jaspers working on his tail feathers and i thought they were coming in nice lol....but whoa....your roo looks awesome!!

I just got this message from Rick!!

Shellie, The Rosecombs you have are older birds, they look good but not for show, they are more for breeding. The male looks to be the best. Rosecombs usually are past their prime at 2 years. I don't show anything over that. I would breed them. Who did you get them from? Rick

hmm...well i guess he knows best, he is like the best judge in rosecombs....ill have to post pics when mine come in from him so we all know what were aiming for! im so excited!

Back
Top Bottom