Black Rosecomb Cockerel (PICS)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    How does he and she look? they are both 5 months old. Should I show them??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    He has good feather quality but his tail isn't finished for show right now. Nice comb but his lobes are a little rough. Lobes should be as close to perfectly round as possible. The head of a Rosecomb is very important-I think it's worth 28 total points in judging.Can't tell much about type due to how he's standing.
    She doesn't show well in the picture. Tail should be spread more. Also there should be a smooth sweep from back to tail-she has a break there.
    All in all they're not terrible birds & would certainly be worth breeding from.
    Black Rosecombs are a beautiful breed & have always been one of my favorites. Good luck with them.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Like nyreds already said the earlobes could be better on the cock, I have seen some rosecombs with perfectly round earlobes.
    The hen looks like she might have game in her. I say that because she looks more hard feathered and her tail isnt right. Her tail reminds me of some OEGB x modern game crosses we had. She could also be be molting/coming out of a molt or just have an almost pinched tail. It should be more fanned out. They could do ok in a show. The rooster looks like he has a better chance. They are good starter birds though.

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Nope she is 100% Rosecomb because thats all my friend has. I put them both in the show so we will see what happens...

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I dont mean she is a direct cross but she might have it somewhere in her, maybe a few generations back.

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I like them, though I'd like to see their tails fuller and more fanned out, his tail could be bigger overall. But go ahead and show them if it isn't a huge show, you'll be able to learn, anyway. [​IMG]

7. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Ok see that could be true but I hope not. There are supose to be 200 birds at the show.

8. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    how did u do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by