black runner as pets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2002, Feb 2, 2016.

1. 2002

2002 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    I heard runners are cautious and flighty? Can they be friendly pets? Post some PICS!!!

2. Icravepoultry

Icravepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Runners can be skittish. But barely ever fly even to get away from you, unless there's a dog. Runners are my favorite duck breed! :) they are friendly once caught and calmed down

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. AimToMisbehave

AimToMisbehave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Mine flappity-fly towards me when they think I have treats :D

1 person likes this.
  4. Gone-Quackers

Gone-Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
    My runners love to fly. They line up, run, take off, and land right before they go over the fence. I've seen them get as high as the garage roof before. I've debated on clipping them but they take such pleasure out of their daily flight lessons and I've never had to retrieve any from the neighbor's yard. [​IMG]

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Left to their own devices, yes, they can be flighty. But if you spend a lot of time with them as ducklings, they are more likely to not mind hanging around you. Ducks are prey and you are huge compared to a duck, of course they aren't going to be thrilled with you hanging over them or picking them up. But if you spend a lot of time with them as ducklings on their level (get on the floor with them), and just hang with them, they are going to be less skittish.
    Just takes time and patience.

My girls will do anything for peas and since I'm the source of those peas, they seem to like me just fine.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by