Black runner limping??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smithychickens, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Smithychickens

Smithychickens Chirping

May 17, 2018
    Georgia
    My Rosie girl is now limping. About a month ago she started and I kept here in a small pin to keep her from running around on the foot. She recovered but is now limping again. We have inspected both feet and I see no open wounds. On the fleshy pad parts I did notice one was slightly puffier than the other. I have cleaned the area just Incase there is a wound I can’t see.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Also I make sure they get the recommended amount of niacin. So I’m not thinking it has to do with that.

Thank you in advance!

DiYMama540 likes this.
  2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I'm wondering about bumble foot. Can you please post a picture?

DiYMama540 and Smithychickens like this.
  3. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Well, I would probably start with an Epsom salts soak just to sooth it and see if the swelling goes down and she walks better. Yes, I have definitely had this happen many times..I have..to date..as of yesterday..50 ducks..but I’m rehoming 7. Anyways..after that I would get some Vit BComplex at TS..it’s a 16 oz bottle sold in cattle dept..says for injecting..but we put it over or in food for ducks...here’s where @Miss Lydia comes in, she’s the expert. I’m pretty sure they would only get 1 mg once a day over at treat...meal worms or in cut up fruit...something they love. Separate her at night so she’s resting it. The others will know more!! :)

4. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    the only reason I didn’t say that was because there is no broken skin..or scab..just a swollen pad.

5. Smithychickens

Smithychickens Chirping

May 17, 2018
    Georgia
    I will post a picture tomorrow morning. :)

DiYMama540 and Duckfarmer1 like this.
  6. Smithychickens

Smithychickens Chirping

May 17, 2018
    Georgia
    Thank you! I’ll also post a picture tomorrow once it’s light out.

DiYMama540 and Duckfarmer1 like this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I think it still can be bumble. @Miss Lydia had one of her ducks have a big one in the past few months and it had no cut or scab. She will be on here tomorrow morning and can give more information.

Miss Lydia and DiYMama540 like this.
  8. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    With generalized swelling you might try dosing some pain killer, i think you can give liquid ibuprofen.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

We really need a picture to determine.
    I have a limping Runner and she is in a dog xpen out with everyone. No swelling no bumble so I am thinking a sprain. I have been giving her liquid aspirin, Glucosamine, and liquid B complex switching each night to a different one. Sprains take quite a while to heal just like on humans so rest ,soaks and patience is the key here. If you see anything on her foot them a good close up and make sure there is no swelling anywhere on her leg down to the foot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: