*Black* runny poop *pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Nov 18, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    My new Buff Orpington hen, Nellie, has recently been having black runny poops. She free ranges and is drinking and eating plenty. Over the past 48 hours she has had yogurt, plain spagetti, blueberries and bread with olive oil, plus her regular layer pellet feed and oyster shell/cracked corn/scratch.

Wondering if this is normal... or if it means she is lacking water/food.... a disease maybe?

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Stop the yogurt, spagetti, blueberries, bread and olive oil...YOU are causing the diarrhea. She should only be fed layer feed, with an infrequent treat of scratch.

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Stop the yogurt, spagetti, blueberries, bread and olive oil...YOU are causing the diarrhea. She should only be fed layer feed, with an infrequent treat of scratch.

? I'm not giving her the treats all at once, every 8 hours.... plus in small quantity's. I have 2 other hens who share with her, too. I've been doing this with my hens for almost a year and haven't had much of a problem with diarrhea.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good luck!

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Thanks for your input though... I just did a little research.... and alot of people give their chickens treats and have the same problem.... I also read its normal to have once in a while runny poops. I'll cut back on the treats like you said. [​IMG] Have a great day!

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but because they are similar, i just have to ask...

So do these look normal?
    Is the black fecal due to too many treats?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I found that my girls get black runny poops when the ground is extremely wet and sloppy for several days. It almost seems like they are eating and pooing muck.

And, yes, the poo definitely gets nastier with blueberries, wild grapes, and raisins.

You might also want to see if you can find examples of cocci poo and compare it to your girl's poo.

8. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Yes, blueberries turn the poops blackish/dark greenish.

Over here, in the winter, we have the chickens locked up with nothing but Purina Layena and Purina Flockraiser, wow those poops are nice [​IMG] compared to the rest of the year, foraging for whatnot and pooping crazy whatzits. Boy, especially when the grapes get ripe, ooooh boooy.......... second in poop weirdness only to the blackberries............

9. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Heck, when my toddler gets into blueberries and overindulges, HIS poops look like that, so I would just assume it's the treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by