Black Russian Oorloff

AveragecupofJoe

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2018
Hello, so in Europe black Russian orloffs are a breed but in America they aren't available. Does anyone know who or how I can obtain them. I love their coloring. I would import but can't find anyone that will import them or export them. Thank you. White is also a color I love.

You could ask around on BYC if anyone has Black Russian Orloff eggs you can hatch or day old chicks. Also if you love white chickens a White Leghorn is the best choice. They are the #1 egg producing hen and are easy to find at hatcheries

You could import them if you get the appropriate permits, and a breeder in the UK willing to jump through all the hoops. It is expensive though.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou.../import-live-animals/sa_avian/ct_live_poultry

Alternatively you could work on creating your own. It would take several years and a lot of culling. You could ask over in Exhibition and Genetics for suggestions for black breeds to cross with Orloffs. A breed with same skin/leg color, and preferably a brown layer. Single combs would be easy enough to weed out over time.

You could import them if you get the appropriate permits, and a breeder in the UK willing to jump through all the hoops. It is expensive though.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou.../import-live-animals/sa_avian/ct_live_poultry

Alternatively you could work on creating your own. It would take several years and a lot of culling. You could ask over in Exhibition and Genetics for suggestions for black breeds to cross with Orloffs. A breed with same skin/leg color, and preferably a brown layer. Single combs would be easy enough to weed out over time.

I am willing to pay to have a heritage purebred black orloff line but I have also considered creating my own. It would he called the American orloff. Haha I will keep searching but you never know?

Have you contacted the Orloff Society of the US and Canada to see if anyone has a color project going on?

There aren't many breeders but maybe someone is experimenting with different colors. My old mentor in Faverolles was always messing around - blue/splash salmons, lavender salmons, lavender, buff, mahogany, and so on.

If you want to consider breeding your own start a thread and ask nicalandia (he's a walking genetic encyclopedia) and maybe moonshiner for advice on how to proceed.

There aren't many breeders but maybe someone is experimenting with different colors. My old mentor in Faverolles was always messing around - blue/splash salmons, lavender salmons, lavender, buff, mahogany, and so on.

If you want to consider breeding your own start a thread and ask nicalandia (he's a walking genetic encyclopedia) and maybe moonshiner for advice on how to proceed.

I will! Thanks for the advice

Does he have any color projects from the faverolles he is willing to sell still? A lavender or blue salmon faverolle would be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom