Black scabs on my hens head

Tiffs Chicks

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2019
I am somewhat new to owning chickens. This is my 4th year raising my flock and haven't had any serious issues yet.

My 2 year old white leghorn hen has some black scabs on her head, see attached pics. She acts normal and eats but I'm concerned she may have something serious going on. No other members of the flock seem to have any scabs.

I have tried to search online for possible diagnosis but have not had any success. Can anyone offer input as to what this might be and how to treat?

Attachments

• 20190924_174339.jpg
    20190924_174339.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to BYC. I agree that she has wounds, probably from pecking. Betadine, Hibiclens and water, or Vetericyn are very good to clean the wound. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day until it heals. If it is not too deep, then BluKote can be sprayed over it to mask the red, so that others will not peck at it. I would keep her in a dog crate for a day or two. Do you know why others would be pecking her? Is there a rooster who has been agressive?

The rooster did recently figure out how to get into the area where this hen stays. This is the more dominate hen in the flock. I am trying some antibiotic cream and keeping a watchful eye for pecking.

That's a head wound that needs to be cleaned up, & have plain old non-pain relief triple antibiotic ointment applied to it everyday, until you see it start healing.

Welcome to BYC. I agree that she has wounds, probably from pecking. Betadine, Hibiclens and water, or Vetericyn are very good to clean the wound. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day until it heals. If it is not too deep, then BluKote can be sprayed over it to mask the red, so that others will not peck at it. I would keep her in a dog crate for a day or two. Do you know why others would be pecking her? Is there a rooster who has been agressive?

Back
Top Bottom