1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Scabs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesus freak, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    There is black scabs all over my chickens comb [​IMG] can anyone tell me what they are?

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Someone else just posted this same thing. It's difficult because you cannot post pics yet but look up Foul Pox and see if they llok similar [​IMG]

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG]
    From what I can tell they are from them pecking each other.
    Mine have them from time to time.
    I have checked for lice and other pests and cannot find any on them.
    I have noticed that the hotter it is outside the more they peck each other.

4. jesus freak

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Thank you its probably just pecking.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:You might want to post a pic to make sure (When your able to start posting pics) Especially if your having lot of mosquitoes. It could very easily be dry pox!!

6. jesus freak

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:You might want to post a pic to make sure (When your able to start posting pics) Especially if your having lot of mosquitoes. It could very easily be dry pox!!

Do you know what the treatment is for dry pox?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

Do you know what the treatment is for dry pox?

There isnt any treatment for fowl pox, it'll go away on its own in about 3-4 weeks time. You can put iodine on the lesions to help dry them up. Dont let the iodine run into their eyes. If a lesion forms near their eye(s), use neosporin on it, also use it for secondary infections such as a scratch that gets infected. Do not give your chickens antibiotics internally. Fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics will be ineffective. Eggs are safe to eat.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Dawgs right there is no real treatment for it. And to be honest the iodine really isn't necessary. It'll just help speed up the drying out of the scabs. One of the reasons I would want to know if it would be dry pox or not is the possibility of the secondary infection which turns into wet pox. Then it can be fatal to the chicken. I almost lost a roo at the end of July from it.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I know an old-timer chicken-keeper who says to put black liquid shoe polish on the lesions. I'm sure there is a good reason for doing this. Probably to keep the others from pecking at them. But honestly, I will often just leave it alone and it usually heals up all by itself.

Fowl pox is common, especially in the summer, especially where there are a lot of mosquitoes. I know, I live in South Florida. [​IMG] It usually affects the young stock, because the older birds will have already gotten it once before and now have developed their own immunity to it. There is also a vaccine for it, but I don't use it, since they can make their own immunity. For free. [​IMG]

I know the wet form of this pox is more threatening. What is the cause of them getting this form, is it a different virus? And how is it treated, do you just try to keep them comfortable and protected from a secondary infection?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by