Black Sex Link Breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MrEaton, Mar 19, 2017.

1. MrEaton

MrEaton Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    Metcalfe County, KY
    I've recently purchased some black sex link hens and also have some barred rocks. The links are pullets still and the barred rocks are close to laying. I've been trying to figure out if there is a certain breed of rooster I might get to be able to breed both groups and still produce a good chick? I know that there is no pure link breed because they're a cross of 2 pure breeds. Just some suggestions on types of roosters I should look at would be great. Thank you.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What are your goals? What is a “good chick” to you? Without knowing what you want I can’t give any real suggestions as to how to make it. If you can find a rooster that comes from a breed that would normally meet your goals, that’s probably a good choice.

3. MrEaton

MrEaton Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    Metcalfe County, KY
    Well, I'm wanting a good laying/meat combination bird that will be desirable for most chicken buyers. Plus I want good stock to choose from for my own flock. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions as to what would make them the best dual purpose chicks.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are two basic types of Black Sex links. One type is made by crossing two standard breeds, say a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster to a Barred Rock hen though others can be used. These tend to be good dual purpose birds, they inherit those traits from their parents.

The other type are the commercial hybrid layers. These tend to be small, say leghorn size, so they don’t provide much met. But they are laying machines. Do you know which type you have? If you know which hatchery they came from and what they are called you can possibly determine which they are by going to the hatchery’s website. Hatcheries tend to use names like Star or Comet for both types so those names aren’t much of a clue by themselves, but matching name and website you might be able to figure it out. A big clue is usually the weight of the adult chicken, which some hatcheries give.

So your goals are eggs and meat, as well as wanting to sell the chicks. No rooster will make commercial hybrid layer offspring good meat chickens. That’s just not why they were created. If your BSL are based on dual purpose breeds, about any decent dual purpose rooster will create decent dual purpose chicks with them or your Barred Rocks. I know a lot of people get really hung up on breed, breed, breed. I don’t, not with hatchery chicks. I just don’t see that much difference in productivity between the dual purpose hatchery chicks.

I do see a lot of difference in the hatchery chick roosters. A few years ago I got 18 Buff Rock cockerels for a hatchery, Ideal to be precise. I’ve done the same thing with other hatcheries with the same results but I’m giving a specific example. I got those cockerels to get a new flock master with the others going to the freezer. Out of those 18, only three met my criteria for my future flock master. The rest were eliminated, most were too small or slow maturing by comparison. A couple were big enough but did not have the behaviors I wanted. This same type of thing happens with cockerels from other breeds from other hatcheries. The same thing happens with cockerels I hatch from my flock. Some are better quality than others. If you want to improve the quality of your flock I suggest you get several cockerels so you can select the best for your breeding program. The rejects cook up quite well.

Since you want to sell the chicks, I’d suggest you consider a Barred Rock rooster. People tend to like to buy purebred birds, but this means you will need to separate the hatching eggs. You will not be able to tell the difference between the chicks from your BSL or BR hens at hatch and probably not later.

Another option, but only for your Barred Rock hens, is to use a rooster that will give you black sex link chicks. If you go to the very first post in this thread and look at the second chart you will see what roosters will make a black sex link chick. Any of the roosters on the left in any group will work with a BR hen. But again, you’ll have to separate your BSL eggs from the BR eggs when you hatch. Any chick with the white spot will be a male from the Barred Rock hens but the ones without the spot could be from either hen.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

This does not meet your criteria for improving your flock so much however. Once you make a Black sex link, it cannot be used to make any more. BSL’s are a one generation only thing.

That’s my opinion. We all have our preferences and personal opinions. There are other things that could affect this, but these are the things I’d consider.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by