Black Sex Link Buff Mutts?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Starbawk, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Starbawk

Starbawk New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    I have 5 black sex link (RI Red x Barred Rock) pullets and a Buff Orpingron pullet and cockrel. Does anyone have experience breeding this combo? I have seen some threads on Buff/RIR and Buff/Barred Rocks and big look like good combos. I'm hoping for some good dual purpose offspring, meaty and good layers.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They'll be pretty (varying shades of black mixed with buff and probably some that are messy red/buff color as well) and great egg layers. I doubt they will be GOOD meat birds unless your Orpington cock is from exhibition lines. Hatchery/production stock Orps have been bred down in size to produce better layers, and the same applies to BSLs. They'll be edible certainly but don't expect a lot of meat. If you want good DP birds, get yourself a good meat-breed cock from breeder's lines and cross him over production hens. I'd recommend a Buckeye, Standard Cornish, or Orpington cock - but again, from a BREEDER not a hatchery.

3. Starbawk

Starbawk New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Well darn. Heh. Maybe we'll play some with that next spring. I've also got a Cornish rock cockrel. I could see if he's willing to breed with my orpington or BSL girl before he hits the stew pot, that'd make for a meatier bird! But I'm not sure if I want to open that can of health issue/poor laying worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by